Pool Noob and First Time Slam

Jul 26, 2015
Warsaw/IN
We have been battling a green pool all summer long. We basically gave it the finger a few weeks ago and have done nothing to it since. I found this forum over the week and have decided to get aggressive. I bought a Taylor test kit on Friday and started our slam Friday night. We have a 27 foot above ground pool with a sand filter. our pool is in full sun for most of the day. Mostly I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

PH 7.4
TA 80
FC 15
CC <.5
CYA <30

According to the pool math calculator I should be targeting a FC level of 10 (I estimated CYA to be around 20?) I have not left the FC level drop below 10 since Friday night. I have been running the filter constantly as well as our cleaner robot. I have not scrub it yet because I can't see what I'm doing. I was thinking I would get in and scrub once the water cleared up just a little. I cannot even see the bottom of our pool. We should probably just start calling it a pond at this point. I know this can be a long process and I just want to make sure that I have thought of everything and I'm following the directions for slam thoroughly. Any advice or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Test every hour for FC and CC, until your pool maintain your level, then you can test less often, good luck, just remember to backwash when your filter pressure raise 20-25% and scrub every day , the more the better

Should be pretty easy to brush that AGP without getting in. If it was mine, and water replacement/disposal was not an issue, I'd pump it halfway down and then start again. Too hot this time of year not to be enjoying it as soon as you can and summer is getting shorter!

Thanks for the responses. We have well water and I think by the time we drained it halfway and then refilled it it will probably take about as long as the slam does anyhow.

I checked my FC levels after an hour and they appear to be dropping by 2 ppm per hour. My CC is still not registering. By my calculations I need to add a gallon of chlorine every 2.5 hours. I've been reading that you all recommend bleach, just wondering why. The stuff I'm using is 10% sodium hypochlorite which I believe is basically bleach?

Either is fine, it is the same thing just different percentages, whatever is easier to get and better price. Yes, if you test and add every hour or two that will make your slam go faster. So will getting a net and scooping out all the leaves and stuff and brushing.

I brushed the sides about 30 minutes before I tested the FC so I'll test again in an hour. There really isn't any solid matter in the pool to scoop out. How often should I brush down the sides and should I be brushing the bottom as well?

I brushed the sides about 30 minutes before I tested the FC so I'll test again in an hour. There really isn't any solid matter in the pool to scoop out. How often should I brush down the sides and should I be brushing the bottom as well?
Brush it all at least once a day. If you have anything in the pool like steps or ladders or lights, they should be scrubbed out, too. Also, based on someone else's recent experience, I'd suggest checking the skimmer weir and throat, if you have one. Which brings up an interesting point.... we have no idea how big your pool is or if it's above-ground or in ground or what, and that can affect the advice we give. Please fill out the signature line.

Sorry, I saved the pool size in my first post but did not put it in a signature. I really don't know much about our equipment because it was here when we bought the house, but I posted what I could tell. If the skimmer is the little box that hangs off of the side of the pool, but I have one of those as well. Thanks for the help and let me know if you need any additional information.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it possible to have the FC too high? I work during the day and was going to put in enough to keep it above 10 until I get home in the evening. Also thought I'd check and make sure that our filter is a sufficient size for our pool. Thanks! I know next to nothing about pools.

I have been slamming today. I've been testing at hour intervals throughout the day (not hourly) and appear to be losing about 2 ppm per hour. I'm thinking I would need to have it at about 18 PPM when I leave in the morning and can add a gallon or 2 over lunch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.