Should I be worried about pool sinkage on one side?

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
Last year when we had the pool installed (above ground), I tried to place it on the highest part of my back yard...however just off to the north east side of the pool, I have a low spot...I tried to back fill out away from the pool on that side with all of the left over construction dirt...And it has worked fairly well, but we have had serious rain two of the last three days and I have had water standing in this spot right up to the side of the pool. My question is with ground saturation the way it is and more rain on the way...Shoudl I be concerned about the pool sinking slightly on that side? If so how much would it sink...how much is safe??? Or do I not need to worry about it.

We had a "lower" side on our pool too after our install and the installer suggested a retaining wall around that part would help with wash out. So far it has worked well .... unfortunately its under our deck so we cant put flowers in the bed it has made.

The wall was made of Windsor stone .... and it turned out pretty good for a first time DIY !

duraleigh said:
Is there backfill under the pool? How deep?

Dave,
On this particular side of the pool I had about 4-5 inches of backfill along the side wall and this extended out on a slope about 8-10 inches then I put landscape paper and nice big round river rock on top of that that extended out about a foot from the pool. Toward the end of the season I tried to raise this low area a little more by using the rest of the dirt from the pool dig to raise that area. However, this is just a low spot in the yard and the water when we get 4 inches in two days just tends to pool there. The pool was only maybe a quarter inche low on that side, according to last years water line. is this something I should work on this spring in order to bring that level of the yard up a little bit forcing the water to go somewhere else or is it not something to worry about.

Incidently...pool construction was done by a real pro...They excavated down about six inches and then replaced that with sand the side posts sit on 8X12 patio blocks, and per his instructions I back filled at least 4-5 inches all the way around the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.