What is Alkalinity (w/stabilizer correction)?

Sep 7, 2009
Frederick County, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hi Folks

I never venture to the pool store aside from needing a part or two. I have been recently having problems with my salt power supply and wanted to get a salinity reading so I took the local store some water to test.

All numbers came back as I expected more or less (as verified by my TF-100). But one value of theirs stood out.

They had something called Alkalinity (w/stabilizer correction) listed as 23ppm with suggested value of 100-180ppm. I know my TA as measured myself was 70, so I am not entirely sure of what they were measuring. I do know they suggested 34 lbs 11.9 oz of Alkalinity Plus which I politely declined.

Since I never have these guys test my water, is this some sort of new measurement, and does it really mean anything?

The short answer is that Cya actually has some titrateable alkalinity, so they subtract this from your TA measurement and this gives you a reduction in your TA when you see their adjustment.

There is no point using it, because it is only relevant to calculating the LSI (Langlier Saturation Index). We use CSI here, so you can forget about and not worry with it. It's our belief that CSI is much more applicable for determining scaling potential in pools. If you search around you'll find many more posts about it should you care to learn more. Additionally, Taylor Technologies has a pretty straightforward and simple explanation of it on their website.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.