Recycling DE

spishex

TFP Expert
Oct 12, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
So I was getting my tires changed yesterday and while I was waiting I was seated next to a very nice retired chemist. We spoke for a while and we got on the subject of DE. He mentioned that when he worked for a drug manuf., they would use DE to filter their products.

But then came the cool part: instead of tossing the old DE, they would clean it and reuse it. He said they used a 500 degree oven and cooked the organics right out of it.

Seems like you could use a baking sheet and throw it in for a self-cleaning cycle and your DE would be all set. Anybody ever tried this? Would you have to separate the carbon from the DE after you cooked it?

Though there are several version of MSDS sheets for DE, I pulled one that might be useful here:

"Hazards Identification
Emergency Overview
--------------------------
WARNING! HARMFUL IF INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. MAY AFFECT LUNGS. CANCER HAZARD. CONTAINS CRYSTALLINE SILICA WHICH CAN CAUSE CANCER. Risk of cancer depends upon duration and level of exposure.

SAF-T-DATA(tm) Ratings (Provided here for your convenience)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Health Rating: 4 - Extreme (Cancer Causing)
Flammability Rating: 0 - None
Reactivity Rating: 0 - None
Contact Rating: 1 - Slight
Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES
Storage Color Code: Blue (Health) "

You might reconsider recycling on an amateur basis.... :!:

:-D Yeah, but that's only when it's dry and inhalable, so the collection part is safe. And if you've got to take it out of a bag to put it in the skimmer you should already have a mask handy. I'm going to have to try it. Although it's a bit of a bother here since we don't require sep tanks and nobody uses DE filters.

I like TMQ's idea of doing it on the grill. Then it would bridge both the pool care AND grilling portions of the forum. Very transcendent altogether.

Rockcrawler said:
Sounds like more hassle than its worth, besides, DE is about $20 at Home Depot or Lowes, DE is also hazardous to breath in so I would not want to bring it in the house and definitly in the oven where you cook your food

Rob
:hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.