Quiet pump recommendations?

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
Brand new pool, everything hooked up and running today, filled to capacity, and we can't stand how noisy the pump is! It's a Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump. It's in a shed 12 feet behind the pool and we can hear it whining from inside the house with all of the windows and doors closed, so imagine how loud it is from the pool! Maybe it's because the PB initially had the pipes hooked up backwards and was sucking air through the returns (they were above the water line at the time) and blowing it out through the main drains before he figured out something must be wrong with the plumbing. Maybe that did some damage?

Any recommendations on repair or replace? What do people like for quiet pumps? What about a two-speed or variable-speed pump? Are they more expensive and, if so, are they worth the extra money?

Hi,
Single Speed pool pumps are inherently loud and noisy. I doubt there is any damage to it.

A 2 speed or VS pump will be much quieter.
There are more expensive - shop around on prices.
Typically the 2 speed will be less expensive than the VS.

Is it worth it? If you are only looking at energy costs, the 2 speed is a better investment. However, the extra features on the VS are nice and that value will vary from individual to individual.

I have a VS pump and I tell ya, its incredible how quiet it is and I love it.

I also have a Hayward VS, switched from a 2HP Super Pump, very quit even at full RPM. Dial it down to lower RPM's and really no sound and $'s savings. I set one of the speeds that uses only 25% of the power that the old pump used yet its still fast enough to keep the pressure high enough for the heater. Check with your power company as they may have rebates for VS pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.