Cloudy, green pool...question about bleach

Jul 25, 2015
Mantua, NJ
I have a 15x48 Intex metal frame which has only been up about 3 weeks. I was using the 1000gph pump that came with it and chlorine tablets. I noticed about a week ago that it was getting cloudy so I took water to the pool store and had it tested, they told me I needed to reduce my ph some, shock it, and add some water clarifier. Well none of that worked and two days later it turned green. I did some googling, came to this forum, and realized I had no idea what I was doing. :shaking: So I ordered the 2500gph pump, K-2006 kit, and Kem-Tek chlorinating granules I read about here. It should all be delivered Monday. In the meantime for the past 2 days I've been running the 1000gph nonstop and adding a gallon of bleach per day. I just don't know how much bleach I should be dumping in since I don't have the testing kit yet. Can I do 2 gallons a day? More? I want to make the best effort I can with what I have atm. Dumping and refilling is not an option right now.

Thanks so much for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

With a pool your size a gallon of 8.25% raises your FC by 19 points, so I definitely wouldn't add more than that without a good idea what your CYA is. Any idea what specific shock you used when you shocked it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.