Could I have accidentally transferred algae into my pool??????

SC83

Jul 23, 2015
SC
I assumed the brownish sticky ring around the side of my pool and foamy bubbles were from the algaecide I used a couple of days ago. I started thinking -------about a week or so ago I retrieved a float that flew out during a storm. It was sitting on a very small natural spring area in our yard. There was the same brown sticky tar-like stuff on the bottom of it. I tried to get it off, but figured it would just eventually go away when it was back in the pool. Do you think this is where this situation came from? Or that maybe the algaecide I used reacted with this in some way?

I changed the filter last night, added more chlorine and scrubbed the ring off the sides. Today--the foam is gone as well as the ring.

**Clorox Green algae eliminator**Quaternary ammonium compounds, benzyl-C12-16-alkyldimethyl, chlorides 68424-85-1water 7732-18-5

It is certainly possible to introduce algae in that manner. There are some members that live on a lake and could transfer algae on their swim suits between the lake and the pool.

In any case, chlorine is the solution. But, why are you using an algaecide in the first place? They are typically not recommended (or required) by TFP.

I am so so thankful for this site!!

Beginning to understand this finally!!! Added algaecide because it rained a ton.......now I know I just need to replace the chlorine...right?

With that said I was about to add some clorox......how much should I use? Ours is 14X48 so around 3,700 gallons I believe...does that sound right to you?

Just tested and PH is 7.5
Chlorine is 1-2 ugh

Thank you so much! I've been on here reading a ton. Just added 2.5 cups of bleach which was um- thankfully correct as I checked your calculator AFTER I added it. I'll get this all down at some point. To double check-----Bleach is 'king' basically right?? As well as testing

Chlorine is king. Bleach is one method of adding it. You just need to maintain the correct FC level depending on your CYA level and your pool will stay clear and safe.

Thank you so much! I've been on here reading a ton. Just added 2.5 cups of bleach which was um- thankfully correct as I checked your calculator AFTER I added it. I'll get this all down at some point. To double check-----Bleach is 'king' basically right?? As well as testing
A proper test kit is "King". Without it you are blind to what your pool needs.

How have you been chlorinating previously?

Dom

hey!! Just now looked at what types of chlorine I've used----we have 5&6 yr old boys so I don't get a whole lotta time to do well anything! lol

Crystal Clear---sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione hydrated

KemTek- sodium hypochlorite 10%

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.