Convert my Pentair DE Filter to a Cartridge Filter

Jul 25, 2015
Port St. Lucie, FL
I've been having trouble with pressure building up in my DE filter. The waterfall from the hot tub just trickles into the pool. The hayward pool vac xl just barely creeps across the bottom. I have a friend with a pool business and he suggested I remove the cartridge all together to see how the pool runs. When I did this the pool vac blasted across the pool bottom and the waterfall was like Niagara. He thinks that I need to replace the inner plumbing (the grids) for the filter, since once they were removed, everything worked fine. I mean, its to the point where I will spray the whole filter out, remove all the old DE, and then replace with new DE. Within 2-3 days, the pool is barely functioning. . .the trickling waterfall and slow pool vac will be in full effect. My friend recommends just going to a standard cartridge filter (NO DE) and says that I can convert my Pentair Warrior DE filter to handle a standard cartridge and ditch the DE. I've been looking for a second opinion on line about this conversion, but I can't find anything. I've called my local pool store chain (leslie pools) and they said they've never heard of converting a DE filter to a standard cartridge without removing the whole thing. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions. I could replace the guts of my DE filter with the same DE parts for just under $200, and according to my friend, could buy all the parts to convert it to standard non-DE cartridge for roughly the same (like $180). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Taking the grids out of the DE filter would definitely cause a reduction in pressure, just like removing a cartridge from a cartridge filter. By doing that you're not actually filtering any water.

What do the DE grids look like? When is the last time that you cleaned them out and how did you do it? They should be soaked in a solution containing dishwashing liquid; and they can also be washed in a muriatic acid bath if that does not suffice. There's really no need to actually replace the grids unless they're torn and there is DE getting into the pool. It doesn't sound like that's happening.

Anyway as to your question, I'm sure it's possible to convert your DE filter to a cartridge filter. I'm not familiar with the model that you have and am more familiar with Jandy products, however Jandy does use some of the same parts in the main outer assemblies for the DEV, CL, and CE lines. It would require purchasing parts and doing some retrofitting, but it's indeed possible. Whether or not it's worth it is another story. Dirty cartridges will give you the same problems as your dirty DE grids, and they will also have to either be cleaned or replaced. It's also possible that the retrofit won't give you the same effectiveness of a factory cartridge filter if it's not done property.

The filter is just overloaded. Clogging every 2-3 days is a symptom of some other problem, and switching filter styles won't help. I'll wager that the water isn't sparkling clear despite the filtration. I'll also wager that your FC level is too low for your CYA level, which is probably well into triple digits. Your symptoms point to a low-grade algae bloom you're just keeping in check and loading the filter with the neverending supply of dead bleached algae carcasses.

Granted, my backyard is largely concrete and so are most of the neighbors' so I don't get massive amounts of dust, but I've never had to backwash my DE filter more than twice a year.

Let's look at the big picture. What does the water look like? :testresults:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.