Sand filter and DE in pool

ouachita

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2009
I have a Hayward sand filter, 5 years old, deep cleaned and new gasket and multiport at the beginning of this summer. I SLAMed the pool about a month ago and added some DE per pool school to polish the water off. Man did it look good. It only took a few hours and I backwashed the DE out. At that time I did notice a very small amount of DE on the pool floor. Like 1/8 cup maybe. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I add DE again. I suppose because of the previous bout this time the pressure went up the initial pound and that was about it. The DE has been in there about a week and pressure still hasn't gone up 20-25%. Water looks great but everyday there is a little more DE on the pool floor. Hard to say how much but it's quite a bit. Maybe a cup? So that brings me to my questions:

1) I want to vacuum it up today. Will a skimmer sock catch DE? If not I wonder if the sand would catch it so I could backwash it out. I hate to vacuum my CYA to waste and this will take a while to vacuum.

2) Is this normal? I used chlorox DE from Lowes and that stuff was fine like flour. I guess it's so fine it can work it's way through the sand eventually?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.