Shape of transition from shallow to deep end

I'm currently laying out the pool I want to build on CAD, and I have a question:

Generally, when I see pools with shallow and deep ends, the transition between them has been gradual. But I've always found that, once you get past the depth where you can get purchase with your feet, there's not a whole lot of point in the floor being down there. Is it actually structurally necessary for this transition to be gradual, or can I just make it a step?

The reason I ask is that I've got a fairly small backyard, and the area I can put a pool in is reduced still further by some oak trees I don't want to touch. (Need the shade.) But I certainly want at least part of the pool to be deep enough for jumping in from a height.

I'm thinking of a generally "peanut" shaped pool, with the one end at the right depth for soaking, with a bench around it, and the other end 6-7 feet deep for jumping in, and a step transition between the two depths. That would be about a 3' step. The over-all pool is looking to be 24' x 12-16'.

So, is that slope actually necessary, or just traditional? Or maybe it's just an aesthetic thing, and you can do it however you think looks good?

Thanks in advance!

I wish I could find the pool someone just shared that does just what you are talking about. He has the shallow end and the deep end. It is your pool do what you want BUT 6-7 feet is not deep enough really for jumping/diving. I think 8 foot is recommended for that.

I found it! Look at his pics with the pool filled with water! You can see his libration ledge!

Zappafan Pool Build

Kim

Are you planning on using a pool builder, or do it yourself? In the pool industry the depth and transitions are all controlled by the "American National Standard for Residential Inground Swimming Pools ANSI/NSPI-5 2003". If you Google that you will be able to find parts of it including diagrams, but to have the entire document you must buy it for about $350.

I don't think it's structural as much as defined by the standard for safety.

The standards are in place so that a pool will be designed safely, meaning that in a pool with a diving board the depth and the slope will allow safe diving. A pool with a deep end for jumping has different tolerances/shapes.

Builders will generally not build anything not to this standard because they are then on the hook liability wise should someone get hurt down the road.

Planning on doing it myself.

I googled that standard, and found enough to proceed. Looks like I can just fit a class II pool in my available area. I'll have to dig down a bit deeper than I'd intended, though.

Thanks for the help!
doing it yourself, I'm not sure you have to follow the standards. While I would agree it would be better, I dothink they are voluntary versus electrical codes which would be mandatory.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.