Cartridge to Sand Filter Question (Pump Size)

Mar 29, 2008
Cullman, AL
I need some advice and input. Last year I did the Baquacil switch to BBB. And I kept my Baquacil branded pump and cartridge filter combo that come with the pool from Rec. Warehouse. I did put a new cartridge in after the switch but now I want to switch to a sand filter. Had a Hayward sand filter on our old pool and I like the maintenance on the much better than the cartridge.

The problem I’m having is trying to figure out what sand filter size will work best the pump. I can’t find any information what the GMP on the pump. Below are the current pump/ cartridge filter specs:
*Filter: Waterway Pro Clean PCCF-200
*Pump: Waterway (Baquacil) PB2250-6P (2.5hp, 2 Speed)

From what I can tell Waterway doesn’t even offer a 2.5hp pump/ cartridge kit, at least not in their 2009 catalog.

It’s a little confusing the Pump has a sticker all by itself that says “2.5hp” but the AO-Smith tag on the motor (BN50) says 1.5 hp. So which one is correct?

Thanks.

Yeah, that pump is surprisingly strong. You're probably mostly limited by your plumbing (1-1/2"?), which effectively restricts you to 60 GPM. You need 15 GPM / sq ft, so you could go as high as a 4 sq ft filter. The TA/TR-60 would suit that. 325 lbs of sand. You could go a little bigger but a TR-60 can handle a pool twice the size of yours.

kthomas515 said:
Had a Hayward sand filter on our old pool and I like the maintenance on the much better than the cartridge.

Hi kthomas515!
May I ask why you prefer sandfilter over Cartridge when it comes to maintenance?
Reason for me to ask is that I would like to have as many opinions as possible before I made a final decision for our pool.

Thanks!
Mats

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.