Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge to Sand Filter Question (Pump Size)

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge to Sand Filter Question (Pump Size)

I need some advice and input. Last year I did the Baquacil switch to BBB. And I kept my Baquacil branded pump and cartridge filter combo that come with the pool from Rec. Warehouse. I did put a new cartridge in after the switch but now I want to switch to a sand filter. Had a Hayward sand filter on our old pool and I like the maintenance on the much better than the cartridge.

The problem I’m having is trying to figure out what sand filter size will work best the pump. I can’t find any information what the GMP on the pump. Below are the current pump/ cartridge filter specs:
    *Filter: Waterway Pro Clean PCCF-200
    *Pump: Waterway (Baquacil) PB2250-6P (2.5hp, 2 Speed)

From what I can tell Waterway doesn’t even offer a 2.5hp pump/ cartridge kit, at least not in their 2009 catalog.

It’s a little confusing the Pump has a sticker all by itself that says “2.5hp” but the AO-Smith tag on the motor (BN50) says 1.5 hp. So which one is correct?

Thanks.
    24' x 52" Above Ground - 13,500 gal - 1.5 hp 2spd - Pro Clean 200 Cartridge Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge to Sand Filter Question (Pump Size)

The motor is a 115 volt, 2 speed, 1.5hp-high speed, 1/4hp low speed. My setup uses a 500lb sand filter and works well. Can't go to big, just don't want to go to small.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, that pump is surprisingly strong. You're probably mostly limited by your plumbing (1-1/2"?), which effectively restricts you to 60 GPM. You need 15 GPM / sq ft, so you could go as high as a 4 sq ft filter. The TA/TR-60 would suit that. 325 lbs of sand. You could go a little bigger but a TR-60 can handle a pool twice the size of yours.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas515
    Had a Hayward sand filter on our old pool and I like the maintenance on the much better than the cartridge.
    Hi kthomas515!
    May I ask why you prefer sandfilter over Cartridge when it comes to maintenance?
    Reason for me to ask is that I would like to have as many opinions as possible before I made a final decision for our pool.

Thanks!
    Mats
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you