Sick of my Chlorine tab feeder please help

Sick of my Chlorine tab feeder please help finding replacement

Hi, I've had a great pool season following the advise on this great forum.

However I'm in great need of advice regarding a troubling chlorinator.
This chlorinator has violated me, offended me and it's time to go. It eats all my expensive o rings jn a matter of months. It leaks from the side until I pack enough boat grease to lube a fleet of ships (It worked for a couple months), once that stops it leaks from the top cap nut. My only option is to run my pump on slow speeds to ensure no leaks.

Box | Simple Online Collaboration: Online File Storage, FTP Replacement, Team Workspaces
Referencing the image and choices below please suggest which option or product you recommend. My cya never climbs above 30.

It's also possible that using a 3HP pump on 1.5" return line through an inline chlorinator is a bad idea.
Other major considerations: The union on the input side of the feeder has almost cracked no visible leaks from this source. Another consideration I have a hayward side multiport that uses 1.5" fittings. Suction side is 2" pipe and leading to multiport.

So my question is this do I:
1)go all out and install a nicer in line feeder (cmp power or pentair) Install 2" fitting out the multiport and connect using a shorter direct run.
2)Buy the same chlorinator for ease of install.
3)cut a straight pipe and say good bye to auto chlorinator. (I would set my pump to 24/7 and place tabs in the skimmer or use a floater tied off.)

sometimes i get the whole chlorinator filled with water. Or worse when slowing the pump a ton of air cavitates in the chlorinator.

I currently supplement BBB with tabs.

I haven't slapped on a ton of marine grease this time because more water is leaking put the top nit then the sides. I have very little plumbing skills.

Thanks

Ive got an intelliflo pump. I'm using tabs because my cya has been low all season due to a leak I recently repaired. Also I pirchased 50lbs of it before opening the pool in may. I use the pool calc to figure out how much bleach to add.

I see why everyone hates tablet chlorinators but a swg wouldn't be suitable for my vinyl liner pool. There has to be a better model/design auto feeder. If not I can run the pump on low speeds 24/7 (80 watts) and add tabs to my skimmer.

I run my intelliflo at 1100 rpm to skim and make chlorine with my SWG, it draws 150 watts. It runs at 1950 rpm for solar at 550 watts. The highest rpm I ever run it is 2500 when I am brushing to the drain or cleaning up blown in debris from mowing. Run it at the lowest speed that still operates whatever function you are trying to accomplish.

If you dont want to change the plumbing buy same one. They do have their uses. I keep my CYA a little low because I go away a couple times in the summer and supplement with tabs when I go away. I think each tab adds 1ppms of CYA. So they do have a purpose. I use bleach for day to day CL dosing.

I read something about older vinyl pools with metal walls not being good for swg. Also my liner appears very worn atm, it doesnt have that stretchy feel new vinyl has. Also I've already got some rusting on my skimmer bolts, I'm worried this would worsen with salanity. I might be completely wrong here, and be using info regarding AG pools or Very old vinyl pools.

Thanks for the advise. Yes, I largely use bleach, but use the slow setting to add chlorine and cya for days im busy. I will likely just get the same one and do it myself. When a new liner is installed I will look into swg.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for any confusion, I've updated my sig, and corrected the double post. No AGP here. Looks like I will be investing in some chanellock pliers to close my pool this year. If the union on the chlorinator breaks Ill get a newer feeder or a swg. Awaiting conformation that a worn vinyl pool liner (I can feel the rough surface of the ground under the liner) wouldn't be damaged further from a conversion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.