Algae problems..

Jul 24, 2015
Tucson AZ
So I've had my pool a month or so, and now I have green algae..great. I have started the slam process for my pool and my cc level is 70+. I stopped adding drops when it was at 70 since that seems excessive. My cya levels are high at around 160, but I am unable to drain much water from my pool at the moment to try and lower the levels so Im just going to have to bite the bullet and use more bleach. The reason I posted was to ask about the cc levels are those high or is it just me? I am going to try and test it again in my next test time. Thanks in advance.

Cc of 70+ sounded pretty scary. Like a cess pool.

Cya of 160 is going to be painful. I would try to drain a few inches at a time every couple days and fill with hose if at all possible.

I wish I could see sig on tapatalk if you have one, for pool gallons.

Hello Matthew,

I am not a pool expert so I am not offering advice. But I can say that I too have a very high CYA (over 100). I've been battling persistent yellow algae on the sides of my pool since mid-May. Weekly brushings wouldn't remove it all, and it came back with a vengeance.

Last weekend I took the advice of members, including pooldv, and I added enough liquid chlorine to get my FC up to 40. For my situation it was 12 gallons, and I determined that via the calculator.

I can say that, for a week at least, it really worked. I did brush thoroughly today and there was some light yellow in places on the pool walls, but it came off so easy, and I believe it was dead and just needed to be swept well.

So now I will keep my FC up to 12 for the summer. For the week, I have been able to do that by adding 1 gallon of liquid chlorine every 48 hours.

For me, the calculator worked great, and the prescribed amount of liquid chlorine did the job. I am pretty happy. Oh, and I have NOT used pucks now for one year - my CYA is a holdover from three years of using just pucks. I found this site a year ago and haven't used them since. I we were not in a drought, I'd do a partial water replacement, but that is not possible in California at this time.

Good luck. Randy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.