Frustrated-CYA won't go down

SandyO

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2015
Oxford, MI
I have a vinyl liner but have very high CYA. I don't have any issues with well water or water table. I've read and read that my option to lower CYA is to drain and refill. I don't think I can really drain 75% of my water because I think that's bad for the liner. So I've planned to do a 25% drain about once a week for about 5 weeks. (Pool is 4 ft across all the way) Trouble is, I've done it twice now and don't seem to be getting anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Tested 7/14:
FC- keeping around 12
CC- 0
pH- 7.4
AL- 140
CYA- 160

tested 7/19 (after 25% drain/refill)
FC- keeping around 12
CC- 0.2
pH- 7.5
AL- 140
CYA- 160

tested 7/24 (after 25% drain/refill)
FC- brought up to 11
CC- 0.2
pH- 7.5
AL- 150
CYA- 140

Extra info: we just bought the house and I don't know anything about its history other than the buckets of chemicals (pucks) left by the previous owner and the ridiculous green swamp that it was when we took off the cover.

Hi SandyO, i see you are using the Taylor kit which is good. I assume you are diluting the water by 1/2 to obtain those readings over 100? The margin of error when running the test normally for readings under 100 is i believe +/- 10, so if you are doing a dilution test i suppose it would be +/- 20? which your readings are within. i think as you continue the process you will start to see more reliable readings

Thanks. It is actually reassuring to hear you say that.

Yes, been diluting with bottled water and multiplying x2.

Started clorinating with 8% bleach but am getting 12% chlorine from the pool store now for pretty much the same price.

I've noticed that our hair and skin seems VERY dry with all this chlorine so I'd like to get it down as soon as I can. But don't want anything growing in there. So I just keep doing what I'm doing?

Hi Sandy, yes i would suggest continuing with the water replacements, the CYA is still unmanageable. What are your pool measurements, length width and depth? If you have a shallow end you can safely drain a liner pool to leave 1 foot of water in the shallow end, so if the shallow end is 3ft you can drain 2ft at a time . e.g. if your pool is 20x12x5.5 which is about 10000G, 2 feet would replace 3600G so you could do 1/3 at a time and have faster results. Please reply with your pool measurements

The size is actually 24.3 ft x 12.8 ft. That gets me to 9300 gallons. Then there is the well with the steps so I've been rounding up to 10,000 gallons. I don't know how to measure the steps part.

Its pouring now so I'll be draining more soon anyway. Too bad I didn't do that before the free water fell from the sky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.