Clorox Vs Pool Liquid Bleach

Jun 12, 2012
Escondido, CA.
I was just at the pool store to buy some chemicals.. and mentioned I was using Clorox to provide chlorine.

He mentioned that I should buy their liquid chlorine product because it had fewer "dissolved Solids"

I'd like to hear from you folks..

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

Either he is ignorant of the contents or lying. The only difference is the %. Now, bleach and higher % chlorinating liquid are measured differently. If you convert bleach to Trade% which is what chlorinating liquid is measured in you have bleach at 8.64% and chlorinating liquid at 10 or 12.5%.

Is he trying to,sell you 1 gallon bottles or do they have a built tank with refillable 2.5 gallon containers?

All of them are going to give you similar additions, mainly salt.

If they have a decent turnover and it is stored properly it can be better cost wise to go with chlorinating liquid.

I'd have to ask him what the "dissolved solids" are in the Clorox? I'm going to give the pool store the benefit of the doubt and say that since Clorox is now putting out pool chemicals under their own label perhaps he thinks you're using something more than just plain household bleach?

A lot of folks are getting confused by the Clorox pool chems I think.

And you could always price the pool stores liquid chlorine just to see if its a better price. :)

No this is regular Clorox bleach... 8.25% I think.. I just thought he was doing his salesman thing and trying to up sale me to his brand (they come in 1 gallon bottles).. Leslie's Pools no doubt.. I was just wondering.

I have always thought the pool chlorine and store bought chlorine only differed in concentration.. not chemical make up

You are correct BitViper. The only difference is the concentration. Higher concentration chlorine will degrade more rapidly when exposed to heat and general aging. If I was buying chlorinating liquid from the pool store I would make sure it is fresh and not been stored in a window display.

If you look at the active ingredients on the jug, you'll find that both bleach and any liquid chlorine or liquid shock all say the same thing.
Sodium Hypochlorite.

The only difference is the concentration of the Sodium Hypochlorite

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.