Burnt orange goo. . . at the water line

May 25, 2015
Northern Indiana
We are newbies - - just now trying the SLAM method - my husband wanted to trust the pool store and now I have convinced him to go this route (after finding a source for 10% bleach - he was tired of all the bleach lugging and we had bought out our local walmart!)

The pool was cloudy - put in pool store shock (di-chlor) - got clearer, got couldy again - husband put in Ca Hypo - now starting the SLAM

Today at 3:30 pm
FC 1
CC 0.6
CYA 70
pH 7.3

according to the pool math - we needed and added 4.5 gallons of 10% bleach. . .

at 5:30 pm
FC 22
CC 2
- adding 1 gallon 10% chlorine!

I am concerned that we might be dealing with mustard algae. . . once we had two spots of some slimy (like hair gel) - dark tan to burnt orange looking stuff on the wall at the level of the water line. . .
--> I want to targe a high enough FC - do you all think that was mustard algae or just ??

Thanks -in advance (love this site!! - hoping to make a convert out of my husband ;) )

It's possible. (mustard)

during my recent battle of the mustard (I was victorious after 1 1/2 weeks) I made sure the slam
level was at least 10 ppm above the minimum for the slam as I couldn't be home all day to continually test.

Then after a few days I held it just above mustard shock level for a few days.

I brushed every day, sometimes twice and ran pump 24/7. That wiped out the mustard permanently.

I was at cya 70 as well. It was no picnic cleaning out various stores of their entire generic bleach stock let me tell you.

make sure you do the overnight chlorine loss test at least 2-3 days in a row. if it passes all 3 days you should be good to go.

When dealing with Mustard at that high of a CYA the conditions in your water may exist to oxidize your CYA.

When your slam is done and chlorine drifted back to normal, test your CYA. Mine had dropped down to 35.

Just remember Barbie, regardless of whether it's mustard algae or not, the initial treatment is the same - regular SLAM. After passing the normal SLAM (3) criteria, then you bump FC up to mustard FC level for 24 hrs. Not a big deal. What is a big deal though is your FC falling so low. You're adding bleach now, but once the SLAM is over, it's very important you find a way to "feed" your pool consistently so that it never falls below your target FC based on your CYA of 70. It's best to know (through average use) how much your FC drops each day, then you can simply add that amount plus a little extra to always stay above your target. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and please stop putting pool store products in the water. They will skew your other chemical readings and create a new obstacle down the road. Bleach only right now.

At the beginning of the season we had 0 CYA - and I don't think our SWG could keep up - - then it was a little cloudy - etc. (I didn't understand the role of / need for CYA - and we let it be too low for too long)

Last year we had no problems - clear and nice all year - very little addition of anything -so I think our SWG can do it - we just need to get it to a good starting point.

Thanks for the help - I'll keep you posted!
We have used up almost all the liquid bleach we bought and we will have to head out tomorrow for more!

So - we have been doing the SLAM thing and I think we are at the end of the process.

Initally the pool was cloudy - it is much less cloudy, but still not crystal clear like it was all last summer. . .

Do I need to wait longer. . . . any other tips?

Testing today shows:

FC 17
CC 0.5 (<1)
Total Alk, - high
PH - 7.3
CYA 70

THANKS!

So - we have been doing the SLAM thing and I think we are at the end of the process.

Initally the pool was cloudy - it is much less cloudy, but still not crystal clear like it was all last summer. . .

Do I need to wait longer. . . . any other tips?

Testing today shows:

FC 17
CC 0.5 (<1)
Total Alk, - high
PH - 7.3
CYA 70

THANKS!

What does "CC 0.5 (<1)" mean? did it take two drops to clear?

What was the result of your OCLT?

A SLAM is not complete until:
1) OCLT passed (<1ppm drop over 8-10 hours overnight)
2) CC is without a doubt =/<0.5ppm
3) Water is CLEAR

I don't think you meet this criteria just yet.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.