Solar lights?

Mar 3, 2009
Mission, TX
Doea anyone place solar lights around their pool in the landscaping areas? I found some at a yard sale last year that we liked and put new batteries in them and they do add a nice effect in the evening but just aren't quite bright as we would like. Wondering if anyone can recommend some GOOD ones. thanks

I've tried three different types in the past and have yet to discover the ones that seem to fill the bill. Now the last set I bought from Lowe's had LEDs instead of regular bulbs. They seemed to stay lit longer than the regular ones did, but they really weren't much brighter. Brightness issues seem to plague all of these sets. Wish I could help you there but even I haven't found the solution yet.

I have 30 + lights of different configurations. here are some things I've learned:

They are just accent lighting, don't expect to much from them for general illumination;

The really need to be in full sun all day; Keep the solar panels wiped off.

The batteries supplied are usually junk right out of the box. I replace them with Sanyo Nicad 700mAh Cadnica cells available online from battery suppliers or hobby sites.
I also have several chargers to condition the batteries back into shape when needed. Also avoid the replacement batteries on the hooks with the solar lights. More junk.

Metal housings are better than plastic (durability issue) and SS is better around pool areas. But I do have plenty of plastic ones.

The Malibu spot lights that run three lights off a shared solar panel perform nicely.

257WbyMag said:
I've tried three different types in the past and have yet to discover the ones that seem to fill the bill. Now the last set I bought from Lowe's had LEDs instead of regular bulbs. They seemed to stay lit longer than the regular ones did, but they really weren't much brighter. Brightness issues seem to plague all of these sets. Wish I could help you there but even I haven't found the solution yet.
So far, what we've found is that if they have a single LED they are way, way too dim = don't bother.
If they have 2 LED's they might work but probably not.
If they have 3-5 LED's they will work, but the battery life is too short.
--That part makes no sense as LED's use very little power!

I bought these from sams club http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... pCatg=6126

18 for $100. They are stainless steel and real glass with minimal plastic. I need the stainless because my irrigation system keeps them wet and the sun is very hard on plastic. The tube is stainless and the metal spike that goes into the ground is aluminum (I think). They are well built for $6 each. I find they are bright enough for me and cast a nice pattern on the ground, which I like but some may not because it is not an even lighting. The only negative is that they came with only 350 mAh batteries. I have had them only a few weeks, not in direct sunlight and they have worked fine and are still lit at 5am. I'll replace the batteries with Nimh ones when these go out.

We are on a couple of acres out in the boonies. Lighting the house and deck area - way too costly. We have been purchasing solar flood lights. Don't bother with anything less than 3 LED bulbs. We currently have 8 flood lights on the front of the house, don't need anything else there. On the triple level deck we are currently using another 8 attached to the post and beaming towards the floors of the deck and the stairs. Out in the garden area are another 8 flood lights and towards the end of the property we have started to use them. It's about 1/2 an acre of heavy trees back there so not much sun coming through there. We get the lights at Menards, 2 of them for roughly $14.00 when on sale. We prefer the individual lights as apposed to the Malibu 3 pack with wires to the charger. Generally change batteries every couple of years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.