Hello from South Florida

Jul 24, 2015
west Palm beach
Hi! It's rainy season here and my pool keeps turning green. My neighbor's pool is always blue. He's doing something right, problem is he has a heavy accent and I can't understand him. I don't think my husband has a good handle on our pool and I'm ready to learn. I'd like to take over the job!

What do I need to do first?!

Melissa

HI Melissa! Welcome. Green means chlorine level is off. But there's more. You really need to do the following so we can help:
- #1, Order your own test kit from TFTestkits.net. Test strips and pool store testing will let you down
- Don't put anything else in your water right now except for regular liquid bleach (generic is fine). Maybe about 1/2-1 gallon per night.
- Be familiar with this: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. That's what we will do when your test kit arrives.
- Understand the Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
- Keep this handy: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
- This is all you need to know for chemicals: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

SO for now, a little bleach each night, and let us know when your kit arrives. You MUST have either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Welcome to TFP!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Hello Melissa. One very important thing to remember is: If it's green, you need CHLORINE.

You'll also need a good Test kit and a few rounds of Pool School.