help with cleaning my grill

gtm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2008
St. Petersburg, Florida
Sorry if this question is "old", but I've mostly been reading the pool stuff and didn't have much luck with the search engine.

I have a gas grill that I use a lot, but I'm not so good about cleaning it. But it's finally reached the point that I have to clean it or replace it. I'm talking about the cooking grates and the heat shields, or whatever those are called. The things that form sort of a tent over the gas jets.

Is there something good and readily available that I could soak these parts in for an easy refurbish?

Thanks, Gary

It sounds like you have a Weber grill. To clean this, cover the cooking grates with aluminum foil (shiny side down) and turn on all burners to the high setting. This will super heat the grill turning the grease to a white ash then just use your grill brush to remove the ash.

You are correct, they are flavorizer bars. The way they work: the bars are located directly over the burners causing them to become super-heated. As the food juices drip, the drippings contact the flavorizer bars and vaporize sending this vapor back up to be absorbed by the food thereby producing the charcoal flavor. :)

If you can remove the grates/bars, then take them out and set them on the grass in a shady spot (not in the direct sun, and not on your patio/rock/block-will stain). Soak the grates with easyoff oven cleaner and let them sit. Scrub them with a sponge/scour pad just like you would clean your oven, except you can use the water hose to rinse! Repeat on other side and let dry. Recently I had a coworker tell me that he just uses a wad of aluminum foil to clean his grill, just scrub with it like a sponge. Dont know about that one, but you could always try it. (At least its cheap) Good luck and happy grilling!

Thanks everyone. I don't have a Weber (I wish!), but I use it 2-3 times per week anyway. I always oil before starting, burn off after finishing, and oil again after that, but over time things just build up, I guess.

Meatloaf, I tried the tin foil on top before burning off, but not much improvement. I found a suggestion on the web that was similar to dlduvall's suggestion, but said to put the EZ-off on, then put the grates in a black garbage bag, seal it up and leave in the sun all day. Couldn't resist that one, and I have to admit that it worked reasonably well. Not like new, but pretty good.

BUT ... if you want to try this, be careful getting the EZ-off soaked grates into the bag. I had it all over my forearms by the time the bag was sealed, and the rash is just now going away. Duh ...

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions ... Cheers, Gary

All I can say is calgon water softener. Put your grates and bars and such in some really hot water and pour in a liberal amount of water softener. Let it sit for 4 hours or so. You will still have to wipe them a little after sitting but barely. You will be amazed at how new it looks when you are done.I do this once a year on my grill it doesn't matter what grill it is. This also works for the metal screens for stove vents or the under the microwave ones....beats constantly buying new ones. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.