New circumstance, new question. Opinion please?

Newpoolcrazy

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2015
La Porte, TX
My pool is still sparkling thanks to TFP, but I don't want to cause a problem so here goes:

Normally test and add chlorine in the evenings (after the sun stops shining on the pool)

I keep my CYA a bit on the high side (between 50-60...closer to 60), so I'm not comfy if FC dips below 5ppm. Well last night it was right at 5 so we treated, but then unexpected guests came and we swam for a couple hours after. Only 3 of us swam, but we were in there a long time!

Should I test earlier than normal today since I didn't give my chlorine enough alone time in the dark with the pump? ;) (we still ran pump 6 hrs) Or am I just being crazy pedantic?

I freak when I see a trace of CC so don't want that!

i always try to test asap the morning after having guests. why wait? of course, im not religious about my testing time (usually try after sunset) but it freaks me out to wonder if i dipped under the minimum with a big swimmer load. one party i jacked up the pool to 7 and had kids swim all day (and night). next morning i had 1...so im glad i tested earlier.

i always try to test asap the morning after having guests. why wait? of course, im not religious about my testing time (usually try after sunset) but it freaks me out to wonder if i dipped under the minimum with a big swimmer load. one party i jacked up the pool to 7 and had kids swim all day (and night). next morning i had 1...so im glad i tested earlier.

It really wasn't a big swimmer load, but you make a good point "why wait?" I just remembered my new 0871 reagent refill arrived.
Glad I turned the pump on before I asked. Time to test.
Thanks for the input.

I usually test shortly after people get out - FC loss can be pretty high, depending on various factors. Then I raise chlorine levels right away with bleach, as needed. Sometimes I have to add three or four times the normal daily dose.

I was going to say, if your pool is a lot bigger, the impact of swimmer behavior would be less... But your pool is not larger, as I see from your signature.

Same here. I would either test as soon as I could or the next morning. If I had the chance after the guests left, and I was too tired/lazy to actually break-out the test kit, I might just throw a couple cups of bleach in the water when I knew everyone was done for a little insurance.

I usually test shortly after people get out - FC loss can be pretty high, depending on various factors. Then I raise chlorine levels right away with bleach, as needed. Sometimes I have to add three or four times the normal daily dose.

I was going to say, if your pool is a lot bigger, the impact of swimmer behavior would be less... But your pool is not larger, as I see from your signature.

Right..there's not much margin for error in a small pool. Testing in 5 4 3 2 1 GO! ;) Thanks

Something about an ounce of prevention (or 64 in my case)... a case of beer sounds good...

Don't know when I'll learn to trust my judgement, to be honest, I thought it was earlier in the day than it is (had something to do with beer, I think) woke up way later than normal. Anyhoo, my FC was 6 and thankfully no CC, Ph 7.6. Treated it right away, and shot for my normal 12ppm that I start with at night, but with the sun still out, I'll retest after sunset and adjust accordingly to get back on track. Sorry to be such a dullard today, but I've had a busy, crazy week. Thanks for all you do!

Will try adding extra 2-4ppm before next big swim which will be tomorrow night.

Have I told you guys lately, how much I love you all?!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.