Issues with Sand Filter and cloudy pool

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
Hello all, first time poster.

I've been really struggling this year with keeping my pool balanced. First off it's been really rainy so that hasn't helped. Also it hasn't been super warm so we just haven't been swimming that much.

I recently had my water tested and they told me my alkalinity was very high and that's why I have so much algae. The other problem I've been having is that recently when I run my filter (sand filter) I have a white foamy substance that appears on the surface. Any ideas on why that is?

I also can't seem to get the water to clear up. If I leave my pool alone for a few days (not run the filter) I can see the bottom but as soon as I run the filter it clouds up and I can't see anything.

I've attached some pictures to help you see what I see.

Any help is welcome!

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Chlorine keeps your pool algae free.....not alkalinity. The foam usually comes from a cheap algaecide. Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll get you started towards a better understanding of Pool Water Chemistry and it will also probably prompt you to ask a lot of questions......that's a good thing,

I see a "floater" in there...with chlorine pucks?? If so, your CYA level may be wayyyyyy too high for the amount of chlorine you've got going on. Too much CYA will cause a lot of problems in pools and people don't realize that the chlorine pucks they're using *also* contain the CYA stabilizer. The only way to lower CYA is to do a water exchange. But without your own test kit we can't know for sure if that's your problem....and pool stores do a LOUSY job of pool testing, if you can believe that?

Most of us here use one of two test kits (TF-100 or Taylors 2006) both easily obtained via TFTestkits.net or the Taylor's kit via Amazon and occasionally locally. By using the same test we're all speaking the same language number wise. We can't treat based on vague results like strips give. Any chance you can get a good test kit?

Don't add anything to your pool at this point except regular 8.25% or higher liquid chlorine (aka "bleach"). That foamy surface looks suspiciously like algaecide has been added and we don't routinely recommend them. Some actually cause more problems than they ever solve.

Start reading Pool School articles (top right of this webpage) and come back with all your questions :)

Newerabs,

Follow the SLAM procedure exactly and you will be happy. Read my post and pix. YOU MUST HAVE ACCURATE NUMBERS FOR PH, CYA, FC, CC, TA AND CA.
Get the TF-100 test kit or similar. The two way or 5 way at Home Depot are not enough. Spend the $69 and get the kit.
Don't waste good money after bad on more "trichlor" floater pucks...they are incidious.
You must be able to measure your CYA and high levels of CL, above 10-15 ppm.
You need BLEACH, BAKING SODA and BORAX....and occasionally I like to use a litlle 68% calHypo powered CL with NO stabilizer.
This is not rocket science and do NOT listen to the pool store. Gert educated HERE and take control.
Do this and you WILL be OK.
Mark

Yes I have chlorine tablets in the "floater"

I had my water tested at Pool place today and this was the results:

Total Chlorine - 1.0
Free Chlorine - 1.0
pH - 7.5
Total Alkalinity - 200
Calcium Hardness - 450
Stabilizer - 20

They recommended I put 2 lbs of pH Minus in one spot with the pump off for one hour and then turn the pump on for 2 hours.
They said that the reason I have the white stuff on the surface is because of air in my sand filter?

Also, what is CYA? And how much liquid chlorine should I add? Should I run the filter afterwards?

Why does my water get all cloudy when I run the sand filter?

Thanks!!!

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll answer some of your questions. You have to get some VERY basics out of the way by reading in Pool School and then you have to decide if you are going to listen to the Pool Store or get your own kit and manage your own pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.