Advice - VS Pump Options

Hey folks,

So I have talked with a few different pool companies in my area who all have differing views/opinions. In essence, I need to replace my old Jacuzzi-brand 1.5 hp pump and I am leaning toward the Hayward SuperPump VS or the TriStar VS. I was told the TriStar has more timing options, including a built-in 24 clock, while the SuperPump does not. I do like the idea of internal controls, even though I do have a wall-mount rotary timer. In terms of specs, it is a 22.5K gallon pool with SWG, it has 1.5 inch piping, a Hayward 250k BTU heater, and a Hayward S220-T sand filter. In essence, what would recommendations would you guys make in terms of a new pump?

Cheers,
-Patrick

My new superpump vs has countdown timers but not a clock. When it powers on it will automatically go to V3 speed for the time I set and then go to V1 speed until power is cut. Works very well with my old mechanical timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am happy with my Hayward SP2302VSP. It is very efficient. It has a clock and three separate timers. Each timer is adjustable for time and rpm. You can also set timers to "0" and only use one or two, or, overlap times to continue at a different speed.

I second the SuperPump, but see my post up top about some install tips. Seal it with silicone and make sure it's covered.

Great pump. My VS has integrated countdown timers for speeds 2 and 3 then returns to idle mode. You can change the speeds and preset run time, but there is no clock. Apparently this was changed on the new version though per my hayward rep but I'm not sure when it's available. You can still run a mechanical timer, but the pump defaults to high speed for 12 hours when it first turns on

i need to add... More pump is not a bad thing when looking at variable speeds. More flow at lower RPM (translated, lower energy usage) is never a bad thing. With my 28k gallon setup, I only need to run my VS on high if i shock the pool, and for about 4 hours at that. The rest of the time it runs on medium or low and maintains the same flow as my old single speed. I think my SuperPump costs me about a nickel (USD!) an hour....at most.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.