Rubber Boots

jrv331

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
Is there anything wrong with using the black rubber adapter boots for for hooking pvc up to a return line? My return has a light in it and Id rather not glue a fitting to it in case I change my set up down the road. Id like to use one of the black rubber adapters to make the connection but am not sure what the chemicals will do to it and how it will affect my water.
thanks
John

John, I call them "Fernco's" and wouldn't trust one on a pressurized return line :( If you want to use one while you're waiting for the unions to arrive it'd probably be OK, but I would keep an eye on the pool while it's running - if it gives way while the pump is running you could quickly drain a lot of water out of the pool. This gets back to the pressure fitting vs. non pressure fitting - this is not meant to handle pressure so should not be a part of your pool plumbing.

I have seen them used successfully but I'm with Ted, they simply aren't meant for pressure applications. I have tried them on the suction side a time or two and they distorted and slipped off there, too. The sudden "pulse" when your pump turns on or off is usually their downfall.

A good alternative in many situations is to use a short segment of PVC flex pipe. Flexible PVC comes in schedule 40, which can handle the pressure without problems, and the flex will allow you to connect things which don't quite line up correctly.

I have seen automotive radiator hose used is some installs. It can handle the pressure for a couple of years, but still fails well before the rest of the plumbing.

Maybe you guys can help me with a solution then. Im redoing my lines in 2" pvc, I have a Aqualuminator light for the return. Normally my 1 1/2" return hose is clamped to it.
My original plan was to glue a 1 1/2" female slip x 1 1/2" ftp to the 'luminator, then add a 1 1/2 x 2 adapter with a 2' union. Then I saw the rubber boot and thought I could solve my problem with that.
Here are my concerns going the pvc route: I tried a 1 1/2" fitting on the Aqualuminator and it fits but not snug so I'm worried about water squirting out or the fitting blowing off. I'm also looking down the road and want to be able to go back to the hose if needed.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for all the help
John

We have 2 of the black rubber thingies. Both are after the filter/pump. Our heater has PVC that is hard plumbing, the rest of our plumbing set up is the hoses.... So we have one to connect the filter to the pvc leading to the heater, and one after the heater to connect to the pvc (where we used to have The Frog) now connected to a shut-off ball valve. They have come loose a handful of times, in 7 seasons, but I have always been present when it happened and caught it right away. If it came loose it was immediately after spring opening, or after plumbing maintenance and the clamps weren't tight enough. Other than that ours pretty much stay put... Just my worthless 2 cents, LOL.

Not sure if I'm the exception to the rule, but I have 8 of them in my plumbing. This was my first year using them and I had NO problems with them at all. I use them to connect the inlet and outlet of my solar panels, which are made for hoses and clamps. I also have them where the flex hoses connect the pool. One is on the suction side and the other are 7 are on the return side. None of mine have ever slipped or distorted.

Then again I also have DWV long sweep 90's in my plumbing on both pressure and return and all of those are doing fine also.

Just my cent and-a-half. :wink: ,
Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.