Just checking... SK Newbie

Hello,
I think I have to shock my pool, but wanted to check and make sure that is what is needed. Water is beautifully clear. I have an Intex SWG (copper disconnected) but have not been able to keep my FC level above 2-2.5 despite my CYA remaining consistently at desired level. I have added bleach, as directed by forum posts (initially to get the level up) and topped it up with for 2 days but my levels remain low. We are on well water, treated with Eliminate 1 to remove iron.

• FC - 2
  • PH - 7.4 -7.5
  • TA - 140
  • CH - 260
  • CYA - 40
  • ST - 3000ppm
If someone can confirm that, yes indeed a "shock" is needed, that would be great!

PS... love this site

Well before we give you too much advice, we must remind you that here at TFP we do not "shock" we SLAM. :) We have to say that ... it's in our DNA. ha. If you "suspect" you are losing too much chlorine over the course of the day, the best thing for you to do is an Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). With this test, done during hours of darkness, you will know for sure if there are any organics (algae) in you water taking your FC. Besides what you see on the link above, a couple reminders:
- Turn your SWG off when doing the OCLT
- Make sure you bump-up your FC somewhere over 10 and/or close to SLAM. Just anything higher than normal to ensure you receive a true OCLT result.

If you fail the OCLT (lose more than 1ppm FC) then you know you need to "SLAM" Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. If you get to that point, check back in with us after reading that link provided and let us know if you have any more questions. Good luck, and have a nice weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.