Getting ready to open!

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
Of course, in an area where there's only occasional freezing nights, and I never unhooked anything, just ran the pump when the temp. got below freezing, it's no big deal. I did make a few purchases to upgrade my system:

1. Got a 3 way valve to put between my pump and my filter so I can vacuum to "waste." I have a cartridge filter, but a lot of dust and grass / weed clippings did get blown into my pool over the winter, despite the solar cover, so vacuuming to waste is a good idea. Also desert dust storms that come in the summer can deposit an unbelievable amount of dust in the pool.

2. Got a hose to put on the valve outlet while vacuuming to waste, or the filter drain while I'm draining the filter, so I can direct the water away from the pool a little bit!

3. Got a ball valve to put between the filter and the hose that goes to the pool inlet, so when I'm cleaning the cartridge, I just have to turn a valve instead of taking the return eye out and plugging the return!

Those purchases seem like they will make cleaning the filter and pool a little easier than last year. Other than that, I've put one bag of dichlor in, and some trichlor (measured my CYA, low enough to need to add a little more, but since there is some, decided to go the dichlor - trichlor route.) No visible algae, but pool sides feel a little slimy. So I guess I need to hold at shock level for a few days. I can hardly wait to swim! (Still a little cold, though, even in the desert!) :-D

Got everything hooked up, no leaks. One thing I did discover though. If you have a single speed 1 hp pump, and vacuum to waste, you lose a WHOLE LOT of water. I decided my pool wasn't dirty enough to need to do that. :hammer:
However, I am glad I put that 3 way valve in. In case I need to empty my pool for some reason, (Put vacuum on the bottom, turn on pump, and that should do it!) or my pool gets really dirty, or whatever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.