Old pucks... how potent?

drband

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2007
I have some old trichlor sticks (2 years old). Are they still chemically useful. I thought of using them since my cya is finally down to around 30 or so (took 2 years of nothing but BBB for it to come down from over 100!). If they are still good, I could put a couple in the skimmer while I am gone on vacation (1 week) and come back to a pool with chlorine and a bit more cya. Is this a good plan? :? Thanks.

numbers

BTW, here are my numbers:

FC 7
CC 0
TC 7
pH 7.6
TA 120
cya 35

Had been keeping FC at 10 because cya was about 50 this spring when I checked... it's now about 35 (yesterday).

Water looks and feels great!

Those are nice numbers....good work getting everything right! :lol:

Yeah, I'll bet they're still good and that's the perfect application for them. A couple may not be enough to get adequate Cl in there......the CYA increase will be very small.

Others familiar with sticks may better advise on the dosage but I think you've got a good plan.

drband said:
I have some old trichlor sticks (2 years old). Are they still chemically useful. I thought of using them since my cya is finally down to around 30 or so (took 2 years of nothing but BBB for it to come down from over 100!). If they are still good, I could put a couple in the skimmer while I am gone on vacation (1 week) and come back to a pool with chlorine and a bit more cya. Is this a good plan? :? Thanks.

Funny...

I'm considering boosting my CYA from ~50 to ~90. I get a little too much FC loss at ~50.

eelhc said:
drband said:

Funny...

I'm considering boosting my CYA from ~50 to ~90. I get a little too much FC loss at ~50.

I'm definitely wanting to get back in the 50-60 range to have less FC loss. I had high cya for so long, I just let it go down naturally to see how long it took (2 yrs) and how low it would go. My FC loss level (approx 35 cya and lose about 5 ppm FC daily) requires a bit more daily attention than the 70 cya level did. At 70 cya, I could add 1/2 gallon every other day and still maintain good levels of FC. At 35 cya, I have to check and add clorox every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.