Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Old pucks... how potent?

1. Back To Top    #1

Old pucks... how potent?

I have some old trichlor sticks (2 years old). Are they still chemically useful. I thought of using them since my cya is finally down to around 30 or so (took 2 years of nothing but BBB for it to come down from over 100!). If they are still good, I could put a couple in the skimmer while I am gone on vacation (1 week) and come back to a pool with chlorine and a bit more cya. Is this a good plan? Thanks.
    10,000 IG vinyl liner pool, Hayward sand filter, Hayward SuperPump (converted to 2-speed), BBB user

2. Back To Top    #2

numbers

BTW, here are my numbers:

FC 7
    CC 0
    TC 7
    pH 7.6
    TA 120
    cya 35

Had been keeping FC at 10 because cya was about 50 this spring when I checked... it's now about 35 (yesterday).

Water looks and feels great!
    10,000 IG vinyl liner pool, Hayward sand filter, Hayward SuperPump (converted to 2-speed), BBB user

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Those are nice numbers....good work getting everything right!

Yeah, I'll bet they're still good and that's the perfect application for them. A couple may not be enough to get adequate Cl in there......the CYA increase will be very small.

Others familiar with sticks may better advise on the dosage but I think you've got a good plan.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Old pucks... how potent?

Quote Originally Posted by drband
    I have some old trichlor sticks (2 years old). Are they still chemically useful. I thought of using them since my cya is finally down to around 30 or so (took 2 years of nothing but BBB for it to come down from over 100!). If they are still good, I could put a couple in the skimmer while I am gone on vacation (1 week) and come back to a pool with chlorine and a bit more cya. Is this a good plan? Thanks.
    Funny...

I'm considering boosting my CYA from ~50 to ~90. I get a little too much FC loss at ~50.
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump
    Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    thepoolcleaner pressure side cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I read somewhere that pucks have a shelf life of 3 years, so they should still be good.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Old pucks... how potent?

Quote Originally Posted by eelhc
    Quote Originally Posted by drband
    Funny...

I'm considering boosting my CYA from ~50 to ~90. I get a little too much FC loss at ~50.
    I'm definitely wanting to get back in the 50-60 range to have less FC loss. I had high cya for so long, I just let it go down naturally to see how long it took (2 yrs) and how low it would go. My FC loss level (approx 35 cya and lose about 5 ppm FC daily) requires a bit more daily attention than the 70 cya level did. At 70 cya, I could add 1/2 gallon every other day and still maintain good levels of FC. At 35 cya, I have to check and add clorox every day.