1st time pool owners, cloudy water from returns

Jul 21, 2015
Jackson NJ
Hi!
This site comes highly recommended, your reputation preceeds you!

We bought a house in November and didn't open the pool until last week because we were waiting for our fence installation. Currently pH is 7.1. Alkaline is 45, but probably already corrected with B/W's. Chlorine a little low but was told it would be in the correct range with another shock.

Upon initial examination I thought there was sand in the pool. After vacuuming once, and actually removing all of it, so it looked shiny and clean, the next morning the same crud was back on the bottom of the pool again. I initially thought that I wasn't careful enough in disconnecting the vacuum and I allowed debris back in. By the third vacuum I was absolutely positive that was not the case. Today I finally observed the origin of it. After vacuuming, backwashing and adding DE I turned the filter back on and saw the water coming back through the returns was cloudy. It almost looks white, like DE. I am supposed to add that into the skimmer under the basket right? Sigh. I worked so hard three times to clean the pool spic and span and with one flick of a button I trash it again. I turned the filter off and figured I'd see what you all had to say. I would be grateful, so grateful for any suggestions or advice.

Thanks!
Roxanne

Thanks Robertmee for your response.

In my quick lesson from the man who opened the pool there was no guidance as to rinsing between backwashing and filter. I know nothing of this. What is rinsing? Rinsing what? I know that this is not a multiport valve. There is a black toggle. I raise it and turn it 180 degrees to the left for back wash. Then I add DE and turn it back to it's starting position. Am I missing this step?

That's ok Robertmee! I appreciate your offer of help. That should probably be something I mentioned in my signature huh. So could it be DE? Since I am adding it right before I turn the pump back on. If it is DE, should it be coming back in via the return? Is it dangerous to swim in? I would think so. The rest of the pool water is really nice. Not "sparkly" per sae, but nice very nice.

- - - Updated - - -

I just noticed your link, how to clean DE filter. Perfect! I was getting around to that begrudgingly! Going to read now.

The only thing is this, upon opening the pool and start up we've been running at 25 psi. I don't know what is "normal" for our setup as I am not in contact with the previous owner. And that doesn't look too daunting, cleaning the filter, but I am wary of messing around with it, unless I know I definitely have to, as the clamp ring and bolt are bent. And I foresee and issue finding another as they are no longer manufactured.

Open your DE and inspect your grids. I had a grid with a hole the size of a pencil in it. Every time I back washed the filter, when I put it back on line and added DE, the water from the returns would get cloudy, and I got DE on the floor of the pool. I replaced the grid for about $20 and it had been fine since.

The only thing is this, upon opening the pool and start up we've been running at 25 psi. I don't know what is "normal" for our setup as I am not in contact with the previous owner. And that doesn't look too daunting, cleaning the filter, but I am wary of messing around with it, unless I know I definitely have to, as the clamp ring and bolt are bent. And I foresee and issue finding another as they are no longer manufactured.

can you take a picture of the filter, we are pretty good at finding things :) we may be able to get it fixed...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.