No flow in pump?

IABO

Jul 6, 2015
Boston/MA
Hey guys, so i moved into a house with a pool and i've been trying to learn the ropes of managing it.
I have learned how to test the water/slamming process but i'm having trouble with my filter/pump.
I opened up the pump, cleaned out the basket, made sure the drain plugs are sealed. I used the instructions in the sticky to clean out the DE filter. I filled the basket with water, set the valve to backwash, and there is no flow of water. I would notice a little bit of liquid would come out for the first 10 seconds and afterwards, all i hear is the pump running. The PSI on the filter is at 0 and i'm not sure whats wrong. I played around with the main drain/shallow skimmer/deep skimmer valves and there is still no flow. I don't notice the pool skimmer baskets filtering in any water either, which was something i noticed last year when i had a company come in and manage it.

Looking for any advice as to whats wrong with my pump or something i forgot to do. The pump was replaced last year so everything should be fairly new still. It is also a hayward super pump.

If I had to guess with the info provided, you shouldn't backwash immediately after you clean the pump basket. My understanding is that the filtration system (regardless of media) is supposed to be air tight and every time you allow air into the plumbing (I.e. loosen the pump basket lid), you are in danger of losing your prime.

After you clean you DE Filter and/or basket, let the pump run normally so water fills the tank (not just the basket) and your PSI normalizes. Then backwash.

So nothing flows into the pump basket on Filtration? Water should be flowing from the pool into your pump and into the tank. Is your pump self-priming?

If you were cleaning the grates, then there is presumably no water in the tank when it is reassembled. In a closed system air pressure may initially prevent water from getting into the tank, but when it primes, the water forces the air out to the pool via the returns. At least that is what happens with mine. Do you have an air bleed valve on the tank? Try opening that to allow air to escape through the tank. The only other thing I can think of is if you have a suction side air leak.

Can you do us a favor and create a signature with your pool specs?

Then, I would scroll up to the search function and type in "Priming a DE Pump" or something to that effect. Someone is bound to have had a similar issue. At any rate report back what you find and hopefully someone with other ideas will respond as well.

The thing i noticed is that when i opened the pump basket, i found 3 drain plugs but i only found 2 holes to plug. I'm not sure if theres an empty hole somewhere but all the hayward pumps i looked up online have only 2 holes to be plugged.

Can you post pictures of your pump and filter?

Priming can be a little tricky at times.
Here's what I do.
1. Remove pump basket lid and fill the basket with water (I use a water hose).
2. Quickly reattach the pump basket lid and immediately turn on the pump (valves should be set for filtration).
3. Then open the air relief valve on the filter (my relief valve is just beneath the filter pressure gauge).
4. It may take several minutes to prime. If you can feel air blowing out of the air relief valve, then you know that it is filling with water, which is good. Just wait until water starts coming out of the relief value. As this happens it will probably be spitting water and air out of the relief valve. When you get a good stream of water, and no air, coming out of the relief valve, then close the valve.

If this doesn't work, try the whole procedure again, making sure that you have put plenty of water in the basket in step #1.

Ok attached is the pictures of my pool : Pool

What i've noticed so far is that there is no water flowing from the Main drain/shallow skimmer valve/deep skimmer valve.
Once i poured an excess amount of water into the pump basket, and turn the pump on, the excess water will push the flow but once there is no more water to push, it just sits there with half the pump basket filled with water. I have the main drain valve open but its not sucking any water from it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the pics. One pic has the main drain valve open and the others closed. Another pic has the deep skimmer valve open and the others closed. Usually I keep my two skimmers and the main drain open at all times. But I doubt that has anything to do with your issue, as long as one of them is open.

Are you getting a good seal on your pump basket lid? Is the gasket is good shape, lubed, and is the lid cleaned off where it mates with the gasket?

When you were trying to prime, did you feel any air coming out of the air relief valve nozzle. Since you had cleaned your filter, it doesn't have much water in it, if any. Priming can take longer in that case. If you can feel air coming out of the air relief vent, it means the filter is filling with water. Sometimes its hard to tell if air is coming out, but for me if I wet my finger and put it at the nozzle exit, I can sense the air coming out.

When I prime, I can feel the air coming out, even though I don't see water roiling in the pump basket. When the water starts coming out of the filter air relief, only then do I start to see the water roiling in the basket.

Ok so somehow after using a hose and continuously filling the pump basket with water and even filling it into the main drain/skimmer valves, the pump begins to flow. The filter is reading at 20 PSI, where would i go from this point? Last year when the pool company was managing the filtration, i noticed that there was suction in the skimmer baskets. I dont notice any suction in the skimmer baskets.

Also the pump basket lid is really hot. Not sure if that is a good or bad sign.

I don't know why the pump basket would get hot. It should not be hot. Is the motor itself too hot to touch?

In your picture labeled "image1", the pump is pulling from the main drain only. Just want to make sure you agree on the valve positioning?

As far as the skimmers not having suction, you could try a couple of things. Close the Main Drain valve and see if you see suction in the skimmers, if not, also close the valve for one of the skimmers and see if you see suction in the other skimmer. If you have some food coloring, put a drop into the skimmer and see if the suction pulls the color down.

When I backwash my DE filter and recharge with DE, my filter pressure is 13psi. Your 20psi sounds high to me, but maybe others will weigh in on this point. With all valves open, and pump is running, put your hand in front of each pool return and verify that you have flow coming from each return. Then close the main drain valve, and see if you still have flow coming from each return. If you do, then the skimmers have suction.

Let me know results.

So i primed and backwashed. Everything works fine for a few hours but eventually the jets just stop running and i would have to reprime again. I left the filter on last night and woke up this morning to find the filte at 0 psi and the pump incredibly hot. There was no flow and jets were not running

I noticed you mentioned putting the drain plugs back in the pump housing. Are you just now opening the pool for the season, or has it been open and working correctly for a while? If you're just opening it, maybe there are plugs in the suction and or drain lines that need to be removed.

You say you see no draw into the skimmers - maybe check the bottom of the skimmers to see if there's a plug there. You can also try sending water back toward the skimmer through the suction line - set the shallow skimmer valve open, close the deep skimmer and bottom drains, remove pump lid and basket, place your hose into the suction line (opening closest to skimmer valves) and turn it on slowly. Do not run hose full blast. Check shallow skimmer to see if any water is bubbling up from bottom of skimmer. You may need to put the hose in and place a hand towel or other cloth around the hose to restrict the suction hole so water does not leak back into the pump basket.

Also, in your last pic of the baskets, what are those fittings in the basket on the left?

When looking through the pump basket lid, do you see any bubbles when the pump is running? Check about 5-10 minutes after you turn it on.

Just guessing, but it sounds like somehow you have learned to prime the pump but now the filter is clogging completely allowing your flow to go to zero.

I suggest you enlist a pro to show you the ins and outs of your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.