Hose drain valve doesn't drain

Wes45

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
Garland, TX
I have to drain my pool to lower my CYA level so I just opened the hose drain valve between the pump and my filter and no water comes out. Should I call my pool builder to come and fix the valve or just go buy a water pump? Anyone recommend a good place to buy one (Sears, Home Depot, Leslies?) or model of pump that will work well? How many gph should I be looking for? I'm guessing I need to drain 4,000 gal initially and probably the same later, too.

Typically, with a cartridge filter, there is a garden hose type spigot near the pump and/or filter. Water will only come out of there when the pump is running. If you tried it with the pump off, I wouldn't expect any water to come out.

I use a Little Giant 5-APCP pool cover pump for pumping water out of the pool.

It is a little much for a cover pump and not quite enough for pumping out the pool. Still, it is tolerable at both functions and saves me from needing two pumps.

You can use any sump pump kind of pump, though arranging a suitable pipe/hose for the pump to pump through can be tricky, depending on what kind of connection the pump has.

Wes,

Ditto what Jason said. The pump has to be on. You might also check to see if you have a "Waste" valve setting. I also have a cartridge filter and these filter setups are not known to have a "backwash" option. However, some builders will give you an option to route water to waste instead of to the pool returns or water features. Check for this by looking to see if you have a valve for your pool return and determine if another pipe is routed off of that valve into the ground. If so, it is probably a waste line. I found out about mine by accident. :) Turns out, there was a pipe next to my sewer clean-out in the front yard flower bed where this waste line went to, wyed directly into the clean out. Certainly quicker to go that route than to use the little hose bib thingy near the pump. Look and see if you have that setup. If you do, in fact, have one, your pump must also be on to drain this way. And if you drain this way, be sure to close your skimmer valves and only open your floor drain. You don't want to be pulling air into the system.

Thnaks for the replies, I did have the pump on and after cleaning out a little mud from a wasp nest, I could still only get a few drops per minute to come out.

I don't use a cover here in Texas and found a Sears 1/2 HP portable utility pump on eBay that I may wind up with. There was a Wayne PC4 self priming pump that looked nice as well but was >$100.

Didn't see anything going to another drain, etc so I'll call the pool builder on Monday and ask why water won't come out of the faucet. Looks like the pool draining will have to wait another week.

Thanks Dave S.,
Since I have cartridge filters there is nothing for backwash or drain. The plumbing looks pretty straight forward since I don't have any extras with my pool like a spa or heater. I think an external portable pump might be the best solution.
Regards, Wes

Wes, welcome to TFP!!

your cart filter has a drain plug on the bottom. Attach a hose to that and run the pump, if you want to drain the pool more quickly plug the returns so that all the water has to go out the drain port on the filter. (It might be a good idea to just remove the cartridges first so they don't get gummed up nor torn by the increased flow from dumping the water)

AS a general rule, DON'T call the pool co. unless you absolutely HAVE to (unless you are still under warranty) - we'll talk you through what needs to be done and you won't have to pay $$ for something you could easily do yourself :goodjob:

duraleigh said:
I never knew a cartridge filter did not have a "waste" position. You learn everyday. :roll:

Yep, it wasn't marked on my setup but it was there. Speaking of the little hose bib valve between the pump and filter, I seem to recall a thread on here some months back that addressed this very thing. It was suggested that one could remove the hose bib and replace it with a 1" PVC valve with male threads on the outside. You could speed things up substantially by going this route I would think. Can you recall seeing that thread? I couldn't find it.

I thought about that drain at the bottom of the filter housing but only envisioned opening it and creating a mess. Great idea on connecting a hose and removing the filters, good excuse to clean them.
I did a search on hose connection and did not find anything relative to my problem. My builder extended my warranty to 5 years due to several screw-ups on their part and agree that I'd only have them fix that if it's a no charge event.

Many thanks for all the replies, it's about time for swiming here in Texas and I'm looking forward to a clean and clear pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.