Re: Help with multiport valve and spider gasket

No. Spider gaskets should last longer than that. What's the make/model of the valve/filter? Are their symptoms that are prompting them to replace it?

It's a not so well known guideline that you should always try to only rotate the multiport handle in one direction. Always either rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise (your choice) no matter what position you're changing your valve to. Changing directions could increase spider gasket wear but even then it should last longer than just 1 year.

Thank you for the advise. Right after the pool company cleans, there is still debris and a white substance that looks like "rock salt" remaining in the pool. They claim it is the spider valve, but I figured it shouldn't go out so quickly being that they just replaced. Unless they did a shoddy job the first time. I will check the make/model tomorrow.

I believe some multi ports are more prove to premature failure than others.

I have a very old valve which uses a gasket design with extremely narrow separating "bars". If I accidentally operate the valve incorrectly, the gasket will pop out of position, never to work again. One mistake and that's it! The rubber swells ever so slightly over time so once the gasket has popped out, it cannot be made to set back in place, pooching up in the center of the bars slightly and rolling out of position the next time the valve is rotated.

That's why I think that for some multi-ports, it's important to follow the manufacturer's recommendation to glue the gasket in place. This allows it to survive occasional "operator errors", and the natural effects of slight swelling. The glue will help keep the gasket in position, although cleaning out the old glue certainly makes it more difficult for subsequent replacements.

There's several threads in this forum where the subject of "to glue or not to glue" has been discussed with valid pros and cons from both viewpoints. I've never actually glued my gasket in place, suffering through many annual replacements without glue, but I have a new gasket in hand and I'm pretty sure following the manufacturer's recommendation will extend it's longevity.

You may want to ask your installers what they did.

Thought I'd throw this picture up of a 1 year old spider gasket showing how the dividing arms "pooch" up. I'm guessing this is from slight swelling of the rubber and the overall weakness of the narrow gasket. The gasket fit perfectly when new. This one is a candidate for replacement and glueing down.

Spider.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.