TFTest larger CYA tube

Sep 12, 2013
Montgomery,Al
Have been using Taylor 2006 CYA test for couple of years. CYA runs 40-50 pretty consistently. My tube started getting a little grungy so ordered the larger tube and got a reading of 30. Am I doing something wrong with the bigger tube? Did it numerous times. Thoughts?

If it was really grungy, it may have been letting in less light than a clean tube, leading to the dot disappearing sooner. Did you do the testing in full sun at your back in all cases? Try cleaning out the old tube by soaking/shaking in dilute bleach solution if you have not already thrown it out, then compare the two.

If it was really grungy, it may have been letting in less light than a clean tube, leading to the dot disappearing sooner. Did you do the testing in full sun at your back in all cases? Try cleaning out the old tube by soaking/shaking in dilute bleach solution if you have not already thrown it out, then compare the two.

Does the dot have to actually disappear completely? I am unsure of my reading because I can see the dot when the tube is filled to the top, but it is cloudy looking.

My old tube is clear but the black dot has flaked off in some spots. Puzzled by the different reading. Of course didn't think to test at the same time with the old tube also. I had just tested a few days ago w old tube and was at 50. Have to keep it there cause this awful heat in AL loves my FC. And yes tested w sun at back etc the way I always do. Thought w the larger tube maybe I needed to add more of something.

Which mixing bottle are you using ?..... Is the pool water fill line labelled 15 then fill with reagent to the break at the top?
Taylor does make a couple different size mixing bottles.
Kris

I think that's the one made for the comparator block with both ph and cya.
You want the bottle with part # 9194. You have the 9191. Or the one from tftest kits.this applies to the taylor view tube that goes to 20
Kris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It really doesn't matter what mixing bottle you use as long as:

1) the mix is 50/50 pool water and reagent
2) it makes enough mixture to fully occlude the black dot.

If your CYA levels are high enough, it makes sense to use the smaller bottle with the larger tube to save on reagent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.