persistent blackish grout and daily gray settlement

midijamm

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2015
Marathon fl
Greetings fellow chlorinators,
Being fairly new to the pool maintenance adventure and having inherited a sorely neglected pool I am getting a crash course, with the help of you all and Pool School, in many aspects of pool care and problem solving. I have had, so far, three algae blooms. All three instances undoubtedly due to my ignorance of proper chlorination.
The formerly neglected pool is tiled with 1"x1" white tiles and in many areas the grout is dark looking. In a large circular area around the main drain the grout is white. (You can see the transition in the first pic.) I have been brushing the whole floor daily at least once and sometimes twice for weeks now with no improvement.

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 6.00.21 PM.jpg

Overall the appearance is blotchy and not particularly attractive. To make matters worse I have a daily precipitation of gray/green sediment which makes the darkish areas look black and furry. So I'm guessing (as always) that either the pool filter is recirculating the sediment or I have an ongoing growth creating it on a daily basis.

Since the blooms I am keeping the FC above 5 at all times. That is based on my former CYA level of 60 which is no longer valid as it has fallen for some reason but my fear of algae has made me paranoid.

I'm thinking I need a better brush. Is it Ok to use a partial SS brush on tile?

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 5.58.29 PM.jpg

Any idea how old the pool is? What happens if you use a steel brush on the ones you can stand and brush towards the top? I would do a little experiment and see if:
-it does any good.
-does any harm

Go from there.

You can also put a puck on a spot and see if it does any good. You can also crush up some cheap vitamin C tablets, put them in a sock and let it sit on a spot and see what happens.

Come back and let us know what you find out from the above.

Kim

Any idea how old the pool is? What happens if you use a steel brush on the ones you can stand and brush towards the top?
Kim

It's probably 30 something old. Sounds like a plan but I don't understand "the ones you can stand and brush towards the top" the discoloration is mainly on the floor

I don't have a steel pool brush. I was trying to find out if it is OK to use one on tile and, if so, I was going to get one like this:

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 7.26.38 PM.jpg

I don't know how rough/sharp/firm steel is on the a steel pool brush so this idea might not work.

My idea:

-get a "softer" steel brush like for a grill or such. Something small and cheap just so you can try it out. Since it is on the bottom of the pool duct tape it to a shoe and rub it on a small spot and use a mask to go down and see what it looks like.

I like the idea of using the puck and V. c as it is easier and less work up front.

I hope this make sense. I know with you being in the Keys you have a hard time shopping than us up here. I am trying to work with that in mind.

Kim

OK, I have left a puck in the bottom for days with no effect.
I wire brushed a small area and to get the black out I had to brush till I started damaging the surrounding tile finish.
I have the vitamin C on my Grocery list.

Why do you ask the pools age? Does grout discolor over time? (I know nothing)

Any idea how old the pool is? What happens if you use a steel brush on the ones you can stand and brush towards the top? I would do a little experiment and see if:
-it does any good.
-does any harm

Go from there.

You can also put a puck on a spot and see if it does any good. You can also crush up some cheap vitamin C tablets, put them in a sock and let it sit on a spot and see what happens.

Come back and let us know what you find out from the above.

Kim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 10.17.05 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 10.17.05 AM.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 14
I was just curious about the age as over time things do change. Who knows what they had done or NOT done before you got the pool.

Too bad the puck did not do any good.

Let us know about the Vit. C.

Do NOT scrub with the steel brush anymore if it is causing damage :(

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.