Lost Pump Pressure

Jun 8, 2014
Oswego, IL
Hoping somebody can help me with some troubleshooting here. just in the last few days my pump has lost some pressure. It still runs and it still circulates, but it's not blasting into the pump (normally it's rushing like a waterfall against the top of the pump basket lid). I also can't get enough pressure for my vacuum to take hold, which means I can't clean it.
i just bought the pump last summer so I hope that's not the problem. I also just disconnected and checked the hoses for blockage...no problems there. The baskets are relatively cleaned out (not spotless, but the pump has run better with them dirtier) and the filter was cleaned a few days ago.

Any ideas please???

Thanks!

So you seem to not be pulling-in water as strong as before huh? That would appear to be related to either the pump (pulling power) or the suction side. Other than the pump replacement last year, nothing else new or odd on that suction side? You snaked and/or did a pressure test from the pump basket inlet all the way back to the skimmer/drain? What about suspected leaks? Any air under the skimmer basket (clear) lid?

(normally it's rushing like a waterfall against the top of the pump basket lid).
That's not normal. There should be NO air visible in your pump basket....just water and maybe a bit of debris blowing around in there but NO air.

You have a suction side air leak. There is an article in Pool School that may help you find it.

I didn't snake it, so I could try that. But no other changes, and the suction was fine until recently. The only other thing I have noticed is that I had to get a new pressure gauge at the start of this season. Apparently I bought a piece of junk one because I think it's broken already...it's stuck on 18 psi, even when I unplug the motor. So I don't know if the gauge breaking would cause a problem, or if some other problem is causing the gauges to break.
The return jet is pumping out water, but I'm getting a little tornado action in the water right near the return jet. And the water is not reaching the top of the pump basket lid.

Thoughts?

Anytime someone tells us water is not reach the top of the skimmer basket lid, we point them towards Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks. It's important to exhaust all of these items before resorting tom something else more labor intensive or perhaps causing you to spend more $$. There was a link around here before for a very reliable and inexpensive pressure gauge. I'll try to find it for you or perhaps just do a forum search for pressure gauge and you might find it as well.

Thanks for the help so far....I just replaced and lubed the O-ring like crazy, unfortunately that wasn't the fix. From reading that article it wouldn't have anything to do with the filter or any part of that unit, correct? My next step is going to be to check the connections from the skimmer to the pump, especially the hose that goes from the skimmer to the pump. Any other ideas, please keep them coming!! Thanks again!

UPDATE...I tightened up all of my valves and connectors, and I switched out the hose that connects the skimmer to the pump....unfortunately, no change. It was at least getting enough pressure for me to vacuum before that got completely out of control, but it's still not right. I did notice that the basket section on the pump, in front of the motor section, can be turned or slightly rotated, and I mean slightly. Basically, that front section has a little play in it and I can sort of rock it around. Is that normal or could that be part of the problem? Running out of ideas here but not getting much in the way of results! Thanks!

UPDATE...Pump losing pressure

Hello,
I posted a few days ago about this and just wanted to post a new thread to update where I'm at. From the last one, it was thought that i had a suction side air leak. I looked at all of the possible solutions given in the Pool School article and still no luck. i discovered today that when I vacuum to waste I seem to have full suction power, so I don't know if that determines where the leak might be coming from or not.
Also, I noticed that there is a sucking or a slurping noise coming from inside the filter cartridge. I posted in the last thread that I had recently replaced the gauge and it has already broken, so could that be the problem?

Thanks again for the help!

Re: UPDATE...Pump losing pressure

If when you vacuum to waste you have great suction but in filter mode you have poor suction, then you have a filter issue. Its likely that your suction is diminishing due to a clogged filter. Have you checked your pressure gauge during this process? Low psi on the gauge is a suction leak or obstruction. High psi is a plugged filter, normally. Its strange but a suction leak and a dirty filter look the same, suction wise, that is.

Re: UPDATE...Pump losing pressure

Thanks...I cleaned the filter not too long ago, but I did just replace my pressure gauge in May, and unfortunately it is broken again because I bought a cheap one! Could the gauge have a poor seal on it and that's letting air in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.