Please advise - we are filling our pool today

MOM&POP DIY

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2009
Today a big day in the pool build. Temp is expected to approach 80 degrees, so we are going to place the liner in today.
So many questions, so many fears!!! I have been going to "pool school" for several weeks, and ordered my testing kit about 2 weeks ago so we would have it on the day of the fill - but it never came. So, I went back to the site and discovered that I FAILED TO COMPLETE THE ORDER PROCESS!!!!! :hammer: So, I did complete the order today, and must deal without the kit today.

We are going with a SWG system. What do I need to do to avoid water disaster until the test kit arrives and I can actually start to balance the water?

We started our pool project on Jan. 24. I have started a pool construction blog with daily photos at
http://gotitdownpat.wordpress.com/ , but since this week our weather has gone from snow on Monday to the 70's on Friday, we have not accomplished alot to photograph. Tomorrow, I will add today's photos, and the plumbing photos from last week.

Thanks for the help in advance!

What you should do depends somewhat on what chemicals you have on hand and if you have any kind of test equipment (even a basic $5 chlorine and PH tester is much better than nothing).

Without any kind of test kit I wouldn't add any CYA and no more than half of the salt. You presumably wouldn't have the SWG fully working for a couple of days anyway, since that requires appropriate salt and CYA levels. As long as you don't have any CYA in the water you can simply add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening. That won't work forever, but it should be just fine for a couple of days.

Once you start putting CYA in the water you really need some kind of chlorine test kit, so that may need to wait. With a vinyl liner you can also afford to wait a little while before getting the PH, TA, and CH levels just right. As soon as you can test you can adjust those numbers.

If you have, or can get today, a basic test kit and the salt and CYA required, you can start adding the CYA right away and have the SWG up and running a little more quickly. This isn't going to make a big difference, and I actually suggest you don't bother till the TF100 comes, but I know that it can be very exciting to get everything working as soon as possible.

Tell us what you have available, and any test results you do have, and we can give you more detailed advice.

Thanks for the response. What I have on hand:
13 very large bags of pool salt

I can run to Walmart or pool store as needed to get whatever is needed. We plan to wait until maybe noon to start the liner, as we are letting the temp outside rise. We have had the liner in the house since we purchased it in Jan., so it is basically warm.

The water is being purchased from a pool water company - and it is municipal water - chlorinated I suppose.

I will run while I wait for your response and get a small test kit.
Thanks
Pat

We've still got some cold weather left here in NC so I don't think algae will be much of a problem for a couple more weeks.

That said, if you get your pool filled, you would be perfectly safe to put one small jug of clorox in each evening (pump running) until you get stabilizer and your test kit. That'll bring your Chlorine up to aroundf 2ppm each day and will keep algae away and keep your pool sanitized.

Catching your pool water chemistry now is smart. Ask lot's of questions.....you'll get great help! I understand your excitment....Congratulations! :lol:

There are several other chemicals you are going to want to have on hand. Don't add these till they are needed, this is a shopping list. At least 16 lbs of CYA/stabilizer/conditioner, two gallons of muriatic acid (or dry acid, but muriatic is better), one box of borax (or soda ash), about 24 to 30 lbs of baking soda (or TA increaser), and four+ gallons of bleach. You will need at least 3 quarts of bleach today, the rest of the list can wait a day or two.

Once the pool is filled, go ahead and add about 400 lbs of salt, enough to raise the salt level by about 2000. Give the salt at least 24 hours to mix in and then either test the salt level or look at the lights on the AquaRite to get some idea of what the salt level is and adjust from there.

Tonight, and each evening until the day after you add the CYA, add 3 quarts of 6% bleach (or the equivalent of some other strength).

Once you have tested the PH, adjust the PH to between 7.4 and 7.8. Since you don't know the TA level yet this may take a little trial and error. Use less of the adjusting chemical then you think you need, give it a while to mix in and then see where you are.

Once you have the CYA/stabilizer and a chlorine test kit on hand, add eight pounds of CYA/stabilizer by pouring it very slowly into the skimmer. Try not to backwash/clean the filter for at least a week. Starting the next evening, the day after adding the CYA, test and adjust the chlorine level to 5 or 6 each evening.

Once the AquaRite is happy with the salt level you can go ahead and turn it on. Continue to test and adjust the chlorine level with bleach each evening until you have the AquaRite percentage adjusted more or less correctly. Keep in mind that the percentage setting will need to be constantly adjusted as the CYA level changes, until your CYA gets to it's final level.

Once you have the TF100, you can adjust the TA, CH, and CYA levels to their long term goal levels.

Thank you all for your advice. We made it through the day, and it looks like all is well. We did not completely fill the pool, (just over the side light) because we were not able to install the light today and will have to wait until Monday for a part.
Is that okay?

I clicked on the TFP Supporter button and sent you a lifetime amt. donation, but it is under my real name rather that the screen name - through paypay. Will I be able to get a supporter sign on my signature?

Thanks to you all - you are great.

You will want to add some chlorine before Monday. You don't want to go too long with adding some chlorine, but you don't want to add chlorine unless you have some circulation going. Without circulation the bleach can pool on the bottom and potentially cause some minor damage to the vinyl. If you have a sump pump or cover pump you can use that to get enough circulation going to be able to add bleach, or you can stir things up with brushes and/or paddles.

MOM&POP DIY said:
Will I be able to get a supporter sign on my signature?
Yes, I sent you an e-mail. Just reply to that so I can confirm that I am matching up the right payment with the right user, and you will get your lifetime supporter plaque.

Getting all the wrinkles out of a large vinyl liner like yours is pretty tough....sometimes for even the pros.

My large pool has one that's about 4-5 feet long across the bottom of all places. We worked and stretched for an hour almost working on just that one and we simply couldn't make it go away. I think I'm the only one that knows it's still there. No big deal. Congrats, again. You're getting close! :-D

That makes me feel alot better. Actually by dark last night, most of the wrinkles on the back wall were either gone or too hard to see.

We have learned so much with this project. If this liner fails, we now know how to do it :lol: Liner school - chapter 1 - if you start it right - you got it made. If you don't - then you are in for a tough day. Those first few minutes of liner placement are the most important of the day!

I'm off to church, will post photo's this afternoon.
Mom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't wait to see your pics! I'm going to do a DIY pool in a few short years hopefully. Congratulations! 8)

This maybe a lil OT but I hope everything is okay with you and your DH. I know he was sick and since you hadn't posted pics, I just wanted to check in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.