solar pump

If it were me I would rig my own panels to an inverter and power a standard pump that way. If you have a larger pool it will take about about $3,500 - $5,000 in solar components to be able to power an adequately sized pool pump.

Inverter is not the way to go due to cost of inverter, and efficiency losses. You will have to tie into batteries as well, which cycles too much. Lorentz pump runs at 75 Volts, and is a DC - DC brushless motor.

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG

Depending on where you are located it makes good sense. Inverter only moves DC to Ac, but won't be able to deal with variable power output from panels - you will kill an AC pump if you do that.

Sorry - i keep meaning to update my signature. I use both. No - not affiliated with Lorentz. I use one in our pool 99% of the time.
c286213a7a226615d88ed4207acd8b2d.jpg

Just the panels for 1500W of solar will run $2,000, and that's for Chinese panels. I'm guessing since it's not easy to find the price on a Lorentz pump that they're hiding the prices to try and keep from scaring people away before they can make the sales pitch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would bump that panel cost up a bit. Figure at least 5K for the set up. Do the math based on local power prices. If you are north of 20 c/kwh it is worth a proper look

If we are talking solar, considering there are companies including Musk's Solar City who will install a rooffull of panels for free....why not just then go all the way? We are not talking a panel or two in any case, 1.5kW is a serious power.
Go solar an run your pump at a well reduced rate. DIY is not free, it is as you said 1,5000 to even more and to recoup the costs it'll take time plus the work even done by self ain't free either.

Not sure what tesla has to do with anything. This is a DC pump - Dc pump, run from an MPPT controller, which operates within a variable speed range. 1500 W solar is not that big - 6 x 250 W panels. About 5K. Do the math and compare to an AC pump. A 240 V pump at 8 A for 8 hours a day consumes 9.6 kWh per day. Assume 90 day pool season - that is 1300 kWh per season....multiply that by your power cost - assume 0.3 $/kWh gives an annual cost of 400. At 5k set up fee, that is a payback of just over 10 years, which assumes price of power never changes (which is very consevative)

If we are talking solar, considering there are companies including Musk's Solar City who will install a rooffull of panels for free

There are some solar companies that install the system for free, but they charge you for the electricity just like your utility does and they collect the tax incentives you would receive if you bought the system on your own.

Solar has an amazing return on investment for people with high power bills. For example, I can install a 7kW system on my home to generate 100% of my current power usage for about $30,000 and negate a $200+ monthly bill. If I had that $30,000 in the best CD in the US today I would only be getting $56.75 a month in interest. As electricity rates climb the spread gets even larger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.