Brushed Concrete vs. Acrylic Overlay - People who have the overlay, do you like it?

I bought a house from a flipper. They overplayed the pool deck and it looks pretty good but slippery. The problem is that where the seams in the concrete are it crumbles. Probably because of freezing.

I'm in Tucson, so freeze/thaw is not a problem. Our pool was originally planed with exposed aggregate deck, but due to issues with my neighbor's deck (which was built just ahead of mine), we were offered a no-cost option of textured acrylic coating. I'm very happy with the choice. Now after ten years of use the color was beginning to look just a bit faded, and a few hairline cracks were showing up. So I spent a couple days caulking the expansion joints and applying a new coat of the top color coating. A five gallon bucket cost me $125 and the deck now looks as good or better than the day it was first installed. The stuff is durable, cooler than concrete, non porous, doesn't stain, or mark easily, and it isn't slippery. It's really simple to recoat and freshen it up. However, I'm told that is important that you keep it sealed up so that water doesn't get under the coating and cause any de lamination.

I'm in Tucson, so freeze/thaw is not a problem. Our pool was originally planed with exposed aggregate deck, but due to issues with my neighbor's deck (which was built just ahead of mine), we were offered a no-cost option of textured acrylic coating. I'm very happy with the choice. Now after ten years of use the color was beginning to look just a bit faded, and a few hairline cracks were showing up. So I spent a couple days caulking the expansion joints and applying a new coat of the top color coating. A five gallon bucket cost me $125 and the deck now looks as good or better than the day it was first installed. The stuff is durable, cooler than concrete, non porous, doesn't stain, or mark easily, and it isn't slippery. It's really simple to recoat and freshen it up. However, I'm told that is important that you keep it sealed up so that water doesn't get under the coating and cause any de lamination.

Thank you. So we are in freeze thaw environment so applying sealer would be a regular thing. Did you get one color I assume?

Single color. The texture is the standard Spanish Lace and the color is Sonoran Sand. I would think in a harsher climate you might want to recoat (top coat only) every two or three years. What is important is maintaining a completely impervious surface. Water penetration could cause problems. It's important to not ignore even tiny hairline cracks. When I recoated mine, I even caulked all the expansion joints and pushed the soil back at the edge of the deck so I could seal the edge of the slab. I want it to last another ten years looking like new.

Although this material can be stamped and textured to look like most anything you want (pavers, flagstone, brick, etc.), mine is the regular "knock down" type texture. It looks a lot like CoolDeck, but is much more durable.

This shows the color

View attachment 42638

And this shows the texture, but the color doesn't show correctly.
View attachment 42639

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.