Not exactly a newbie

Jul 16, 2011
Ragley LA
Hi! My pool has not been touched for two winters, last summer & we're just trying to get it up & going this summer. I've had help here before, which was awesome, but it's been a while. My readings are:
CC- 0
CYA- 0 I'm assuming, the black dot never went away.
TA- 100
CH- 10
Ph- 8.2 or higher

Here's pics of the CYA I bought & the bleach. Are they ok? The bleach says concentrated. Does that affect the amounts to be added? Even though CYA is 0, can I start slamming my pool or should I wait?
We vacuumed to waste to get all the large stuff. There's a little left. I added 2 containers of bleach Tuesaday. That's why it's blue & not green.
Thanks for your help & this site!

I'll let someone else weigh in on the hth as I'm not familiar with that product. The bleach is absolutely fine and should say on the side what the concentration is (I'm guessing 8.25%) Just make sure it is new by checking the date code. It should say something like, "2015167" with some other numbers following. The 2015 is the year and the 167 is the day of the year so this would be June 16.

You are perfect with those two items/pictures. You know how to add the stabilizer right? Sock near a return jet? Bleach will get used-up quickly until your stabilizer (CYA) starts to build to protect it. Put the sock/stabilizer in now, then try to lower the PH to about 7.2 (with acid) before starting the SLAM. Make sure the water mixes well for 30 min then confirm. After that, you can start to add bleach. The Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart will tell you what your "SLAM" FC level should be based on your CYA. You don't have to wait, but again, the bleach will disappear fast to the sun until your stabilizer sets-in. Let us know if you have any more questions.

I would add enough CYA to get to a level of 30 and then go from there. You can add it and use 30 as the number as it won't show up on a test until a week later. Do you know how to use the pool calculator?

Yes, I've used the pool calculator. Even though I'm adding enough CYA to bring my level to 30, it won't reach that level for however long it takes. I should still use 30 as my CYA level for slamming? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get it right. Can I retest my ph now & if it's in the correct range, start slamming?
Thanks for your help!

Ask all the questions you want! Yes, you should use 30 as the CYA number for your SLAM. You can test 30 minutes after you added the MA to see if your PH is where you want it and then start the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My ph was at 7.2. I've added bleach twice so far. Will it clear up & get to the place where it doesn't lose chlorine with the debris in the pool? We've gotten out as much as we can outside the pool. I'll really have to get in to clear the rest out. Also, when everything is like it's supposed to be will water bugs be able to live in the water or will they die? I really hope they die!! Thank you!!

You're on the right track. :goodjob: Bugs, reptiles, etc, all react a bit different to pool water and chlorine. Some don't handle it well at all, while others act like it's an all-inclusive vacation. Just depends. Check your skimmer or skimmer sock often and/or use a net to scoop those little critters out.

Keep up the good work. Just want to make sure you added the CYA and that you are checking on the CL level at least every couple of hours or whenever possible? Also, get as much debris out of the pool as possible. When the pressure in you filter rises 20-25% over clean pressure, you need to back wash.

Hi thanks for checking back with me! The last time I added last night was 7:00. I added enough to bring my level to 12. I checked it at 9:00 thinking I would add one last time for the night but the FC was still 12. So I didn't add anything. This morning it had dropped to 6.5. I added enough bleach to bring the level back to 12. I'm checking every 2 hrs. Yesterday I checked every hour. I did add the CYA. It's in a sock hanging in the pool. Here's pics I just took. You can the pic from yesterday & compare. Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why the pics post upside down & sideways. Lol

Hi! I just wanted to say thank you!! TFP always works!! Here's three pics of my pool. The beginning, the middle & the end. It's been a week. My water is crystal clear & sparkling. I still have some vacuity do, which I'll be doing tomorrow. I didn't want to clog up my filter & I couldn't backwash for a week cause I added CYA. So I haven't vacuumed, just dipped with a net. Anyway, thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 43

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.