pump help

puckerth

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2012
I've searched around both the forum and the web and can't really find the info I need. So if I've missed it please point me in the right direction.

I've got a Sta Rite Max-E-Pro (P6RA6YF-206L) that's running hot. The other day it was running on high and it shut down (assuming thermal protection) since it was very hot and then ended up coming back on after a bit. Even on low it seems to get pretty hot now.

I disconnected it, took it apart based on vids I found online, and tried to see if there was anything that needed to be cleaned or greased.

On the impeller side, I didn't see any water past the seal. Here's a picture...is this scale and does it indicate the seal needs to be replaced?
zka3LMEZrh7DbrV4Gd4U9mP7p3oNvfao-GLFAyyWxZ4=w1014-h760-no

On the motor side I got a little bit of junk out of the housing slots, but when I tried to take it apart 3 of the 4 long thin bolts snapped. I went real slow and had put oil on them, but they broke real easy. Was there any point in me trying to take those out? Now that they're broken, how do I fix them? I couldn't figure out how to get the motor out of the housing.

So given all that, I am planning on putting it back together and hooking it back up today until I better know what I need to do. I was hoping there would be something obvious I could fix that was causing the overheating. But I don't feel I did anything to help (and instead now have 3 broken bolts I don't know how to access to fix).

Let me know if there is any additional info I should provide. And thanks for any help!

Looks like water getting past the seal. Shot bearings? Does the shaft turn smoothly and easily? Sounds like time to replace the motor if the housing bolts broke. Get a 2 speed, cheaper to run in the long run, unless your electric rates are high (>$.30 KHW).

Thanks for the info guys. I can turn the shaft but not ever having it apart before I don't know if it's as smooth as it should be.

So if I need a new motor what's my best option? This one was only 5 years old and being up north only ran half the year. Is that the expected lifetime for these things?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.