Concrete pool deck repair advice needed

bob22

Sep 1, 2008
Philadelphia
Will be replacing the cut section in below:
sidewalk.jpg

Note the use of the white, plastic, expansion strips already present.
I can't find out who the original contractor is to do this or to find out what he used (he was a sub and pool company out of business). I think I found a product that is similar if not the same:
Picture1.jpg

It is from:
http://www.stegmeier.com/index.php?o...=92&Itemid=120

They call it:"Frontier Deck Joint . Frontier Deck Joint is an extruded PVC deck joint material available in 12 foot lengths. This product is placed into freshly poured concrete to create an effective weakened plane. Frontier Deck Joint's design features "T" members that provide a water stop. If a full expansion is necessary, or a detailed pattern is desired, use Frontier Deck Joints in combination with Frontier Rigid Hold."

The item is .6" wide x 1.3" high. If I use the Frontier Rigid Hold:
Picture2.jpg

, it is same width and 3" high.

Aside from how it might look (perhaps odd), which, if either system, should I use?

Since it is around a pool, I am thinking this plastic stuff will protect toes/feet from a raw concrete edge. I could use a rounding-over masonary edging tool but that also might look a bit odd since it would be the only place in the pool area where that treatment would be used.

I know this is a 1st world problem, but I've come this far and don't want to screw it up!

TIA for any advice.

Are you sure you want/need expansion strips around this?
It was already part of a single deck segment.
Couldn't you drill into the edges of existing deck and epoxy rebar into those holes then concrete that section to make it homogeneous?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.