Help! Am I on the right track??

Jul 23, 2015
Florence, SC
Hello everyone! My husband and I bought our very 1st pool in June. Everything was crystal clear for the first few weeks then I woke up to a very green pool. I was using liquid pool chlorine from the pool store, and had the cheap pool tester from Walmart. I went online and found this site, which has been very helpful. I got the Taylor kit, and tested the water. Put all my numbers in the pool calculator, and begin shocking. I keep my FC at 20, my CYA is between 45-50. I also run my filter 24/7. The green went away about 10 days ago, but now I have cloudy water. I check the FC about every 3 hours, and I loose about 1-2 ppm in that time. (I'm home all day) In the morning I loose about 3-4 ppm.

When I started the slam my PH was 7.4. I haven't checked my PH since I started the slam. I thought I read that a high FC won't give me an accurate reading. If this is wrong let me know, and I will check.

Since I have a cartridge filter I clean it about every 6-8 hours. This morning while I was cleaning the filter, my daughter needed me. For about 20 mins the filter was off. Longest it's been off in 13 days and this is what I found. Clear water with a dark spot in the middle. I vacuumed it up and turned the filter back on in about 30 mins had a cloudy pool again.

I also posted a pic of what my filter cartridge looks like after 8 hours of running.

What do you guys think? Am I on the right track? Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thanks!

IMG_1549.jpgIMG_1554.jpgIMG_1555.jpg

You are sure are on the right track! Quick study for sure!

The stuff on the bottom was dead algae. If you can "sneak" up on it to get it into the filter that may help speed things up. You can also put a knee high on your skimmer basket and return to help filter even more stuff out.

Kim

Speaking as someone who has used the same sort of filtration setup, I have a few comments. I'm not sure from your photos whether you have the A or B size filter cartridges - if A, that is pathetically undersized for the filtration needs of your pool volume; if B it has the significantly larger surface area but is still significantly undersized. Also, the Intex, Summer Escapes, etc. branded filter cartridges are not very good quality.

None of this is your fault; it's simply that these pools are marketed with undersized filtration. It works OK under everyday conditions, but makes it VERY hard to clean up after algae attacks.

One thing I would suggest is to let stuff settle more often, and then vacuum that pile of stuff to waste - that can be done by setting up a siphon (ask if this doesn't make sense) and dumping the vacuumed material overboard. That way you get rid of it and don't keep feeding it through that anemic filter.

However, your posted numbers are saying that you aren't yet done with the SLAM - something is still using too much chlorine - so keep up your FC numbers also. Run the pump most of the time. Turning it off for an hour now and then to let stuff settle for vacuuming won't hurt the process.

It is difficult to clean up an algae bloom with the intex cartridge filters. You may want to consider upgrading to an intex sand filter/pump combo or another sand filter and pump. This is the time of year these items start to go on sale so you may be able to find a pretty good deal. Adding a larger pump/filter combo and possibly a skimmer will enable you to filter and vacuum the pool more efficiently.

I have the "A" size.

Any good recommendations for the sand filter? I was thinking the filter might be to small since no one on here has the type I have! :)

Do you think if I upgrade my filter size this SLAM will be over sooner?

Thanks again! Love this site!

They Hayward Pro and VL series pump and filter systems are good quality and the 14" or 16" models would be good for your pool. Similar Intex pump/sand filter combos would also work but will not have the durability or product support. Pentair SandDollar and CristalFlo are other options. They will improve the ability of your filtering system to remove particulates faster and would likely shorten the end of the SLAM, which is usually getting the water clear and sparkling. Passing the CC and OCLT part of the SLAM depend more on frequent and sufficient chlorine dosing and brushing of the pool.

This is partly a money decision also. The Hayward systems mentioned will undoubtedly cost more than what you paid for the pool in the first place. If you are happy enough with pool ownership after your brief experience thus far, maybe it's something to consider. The Intex sand filters, although lower pump quality, are much cheaper and get generally positive reviews.

If you just want the pool swimmable and clean quickly, you might consider dumping water and starting over, and then maintaining FC levels very carefully to avoid the start of algae. See
Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

If you feel stubborn and don't want to give up on the work you've already done, it's probably possible with the equipment you have, but it might drag on for a considerable time before you are satisfied with the results.

Filter HELP!

EDIT: Do not start a new thread for the same issue it is terribly confusing and you will get less response.

I have been trying to win the battle with dead algae for a very long time. I've been SLAMing so long I stopped counting.

On my other post some people suggested getting a new filter. (All my info is in my signature)

Do I need a new filter to finally be done with this SLAM? If I do need to upgrade my budget only allows for $100-$150 filter. Can I get a good one for that cheap? I have a Catfish pool vacuum that I use everyday to clean the bottom and the dead algae in the middle.

Thanks!

Last night 8:00

CYA - 45 (or close to it, I hate this test)
FC - 16

I added 5 cups 5oz of 8.25% bleach to get my FC up to 20

Re checked at 8:30 pm
FC - 21

This morning 6:30

FC - 18
CC - 1

Added 2cups 7oz of 8.25% bleach

Rechecked 7:15

FC - 20

Water is clearer, but not crystal clear. I left my filter off for 1 hour this morning and vacuumed up the yucky brown stuff in the middle.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found this filter on Amazon:

Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 110-120 Volt with GFCI, 2100 Gallon

Pump Flow Rate: 2,100 gph (7.9 m3/hr). System Flow Rate: 1,600 gph (6.0 m3/hr). Includes: 6-way Valve. Pressure Gauge. Heavy Duty Tank. Strainer Basket. Built-in Timer. Powerful Motor (.50 HP).

It fits my budget. What do you think? Would it be worth it? Should I just keep my old filter?

That will work better, probably a lot better, than what you have now. As I said before, the A cartridge filter is pathetically undersized.

That being said, a better filter does nothing for killing algae - that is a matter of chemistry. Your overnight FC loss indicates you are not done with the SLAM process; debris from dead algae is not your only issue.

P.S. If I were getting an Intex sand filter, an idea which I consider from time to time, I would go larger than the one you linked - not too much price increment last time I looked on Amazon. I'm still using a cartridge filter (see signature), somewhat larger than your setup, but still lacking in filter area... however, as long as I keep on top of the chlorine levels, it works just fine, so I haven't sprung for a sand filter yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.