High TA, low PH ?

That's probably a little too low. With a TA that high, it would be pretty difficult to maintain a pH below neutral 7.0. I can't keep my pH from going over 8.0 when my TA is near 100. How old is your pH test kit?

I would not leave your pH low like that - beyond the discomfort it may cause swimmers, pH below 7 will eat the metal components in your pool system (copper heater cores, pumps, etc) - you may want to raise it with borax to get it up to 7.2 more quickly then use aeration from there

if you want to lower your TA, aerate the pool to raise the pH (fountain, kids splashing, point your return eyeballs up at the surface, etc) - that is the only way to raise pH without also raising TA - then once the pH is up to 7.5 or so, add accid which will drop the pH and take the TA down with it - repeat that cycle over and over until the TA is where you want it - see how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity

note that you only need to worry about dropping your TA if it is causing trouble keeping your pH where you want it (high TA tends to make pH continuously rise) or if it is contributing to a high CSI that will result in scaling - plug your numbers into PoolMath to see your CSI

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.