Newbie wants to open pool by herself

To prime a "self priming" pump, you remove the lid to access the pump strainer basket, fill that area with water, replace the lid, and turn the pump on. If the pump does not prime within 30 seconds to a minute, turn the pump off, let it cool down for a while, and try again. Some people find that it works best if you close the lid and turn on the power very quickly after filling the strainer basket with water, for others it doesn't make any difference if they rush or not.

Thanks for your information jason. pool is now topped and I am ready to turn on the "switch" to a grand summer. supposed to hit upper 80s this weekend, so timing is perfect. will have to turn on the heater, though. I will fill the strainer tonight and see how it goes. Does the water actually stay there in the strainer or does it move on to the filter? Just curious. guess i will see for myself this evening. I have said this before, but don't mind repeating, THIS WEB SITE IS AWSOME.

My pool pump is now pumping away. however, i noticed lots of "red stuff" blow into the pool water thru the inlet. i am assuming this is antifreeze and now wonder if there was more i should have done before turning on the pump? I also notice the pressure on my sand filter is up to 32 - the highest i have ever seen it. it normally runs between 18-25. is there something more i should do or is it normal at first start up?
Turning on my heater is worth the extra expense. i LOVE my pool, as do my grandaughters. they are already chomping at the bit to swim and with the temps getting up into the upper 80s this week end, they will be swimming all weekend along with their grammy. Having an automatic pool cover helps keep the heat in - just a turn of a key and it closes.
Do i need to shock the pool automatically at opening, or do I just not worry about shocking unless I see signs of algae? Right now, my water is crystal clear and very inviting. I still need to run my robot a couple of times to get up the really small stuff off the bottom. SUMMER, HERE I COME!

Pool antifreeze is often pink. It doesn't matter if some of it gets in the pool.

On the high pressure: make sure all of the valve handles are still lined up with the pipes as they were in the pictures. You may need to clean/backwash the filter. Double check that you remembered to remove all the plugs, notably all of the return(s) and skimmer(s).

There is no need to shock as long as the water is clear, the FC level doesn't fall precipitously and there isn't any CC.

When the pump has been running for an hour, get a full set of water test results.

Thanks again for the quick response. i only have one inlet/return. its aqua genie and i did take the cover off. i was concerned about the high pressure. i will backflush and see if that resolves the issue.

I just did a backwash and it did nothing but soak me - lol, i didnt have the clamp on tight enough and the hose blew off and I got absolutely soaked. Anyhow, i re-did it and it held, but the pressure didnt change. it is now at 35. the only handle i changed was the one on the slide plumbing and I just shut that valve; everything else is the same. i shut the pump off untill i here something different.

Just realized what is going on. I went out and checked the pressure valve with the pump turned off. It is registering 20psi in its "non-use" state. That means when the pump is on, it is actually only increrasing 15psi, not 35 like I though. That takes a load off my mind. I probably need a new gauge? Its also very cold and windy today and the inside of the gauge has sweat in it. Maybe it's just "cold". Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.