Heater issue

4playn

Jul 23, 2015
CA
Hi all. Just started on this forum. I have an issue with my Pentair 400 heater. I'm getting a service heater error. I troubleshot thru the manual and opened the side panels and saw that I have a HLS error light on. The blower does not turn on so nothing does. Manual says to replace the HLS. I called several local pool places and they all said something different from heater having two sensors and the other pool place saying there is a sensor and a high limit safety switch. So I'm confused as to what exactly HLS means.... High limit sensor or High limit safety switch haha. I turned the temp down below the current water temp and the service heater light went off but obviously didn't turn heater on because my pool water is already at 82 degrees. So what are your suggestions as to what is going on? Thank you in advance.
-Tony

I suspect it's the high limit cutout which is easy to test if you have a multimeter. Just turn the breaker(s) off and unplug the wires from the cutout and see if there's continuity across it. If you don't have a multimeter, or aren't comfortable testing it, just remove it and I bet someone can test it for you. It may even be worth just replacing it. They're relatively cheap.

On the back. Actually thermo regulator. Down low. Looks like a 2 inch black circle that screws out. Need to put a screwdriver blade on it to gain leverage to screw it off. If it looks rusty it is bad. Won't allow the spring to move when it gets hot/cold and it makes the heater shut off. Do you still have a warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.