MPS and CC with DPD and FAS-DPD test

It can show up as either depending on whether there is any chlorine in the water sample. There are two possibilities:

Chlorine in water ---> DPD dye turns pink ---> FAS drops added but react with MPS ---> result is that MPS gets recorded as part of FC
No chlorine in water ---> DPD dye remains clear ---> R-0003 added, reacts with MPS, and sample turns pink ---> FAS drops added to turn to clear ---> result is that MPS gets recorded as CC

Basically, MPS doesn't react directly with DPD (at least not noticeably enough to produce a color) except at higher MPS concentrations. However, it does react with the FAS drops used for titrating FC and it reacts with the R-0003 potassium iodide used in the CC part of the test. However, if the MPS reacts with FAS during the FC part of the test, it only gets recorded there since there will be none left during the CC part of the test.

In a regular DPD (not FAS-DPD) chlorine test, the MPS shows up as CC (unless the MPS is at very high concentrations):

Chlorine or no Chlorine ---> DPD dye turns pink or stays clear ---> R-0003 added, reacts with MPS, and sample turns pink ---> result is that MPS gets recorded in TC (so as CC=TC-FC)

Just FYI, Taylor makes a kit to neutralize MPS for the FAS-DPD test. It's kind of expensive (about $30), and an extra step during testing. After using the pool store method for a few months and dumping half a bucket of fresh n clear MPS into my pool, I bought the kit to make sure I'm getting proper FC and CC readings now that I'm doing the TFP method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.