First Post/First Test

Jul 16, 2015
Lindale, TX
We just purchased our home last month and I knew nothing about pool maintenance so I figured I would follow the pool store guys advice - know I know that is not the most prudent way to get a trouble free pool. I found you guys last week after my water was turning cloudy and green. Immediately ordered a K2006-C, but it didn't arrive until today. Last week I added a few gallons of bleach and my last couple bags of shock (cal-hypo 73%) and kept adding a gallon of bleach a day while waiting for my kit to arrive. After a few days, the water started looking good again - now all the cloudiness is gone and it is pretty darn clear. I knew my CYA was high based on the pool store tests and the fact I was using "smart-tabs" - had no idea what CYA was until the pool store tested my water and said it was over 100. I've been backwashing the filter and brushing the pool. So - here are my first test results (after one test, I definitely plan on ordering a speedstir):
FC = 18
CC = 2
PH = 7.8
TA = 140
CYA = 75

Based on my reading of the forum, I shouldn't worry about the Ph with my FC that high, right? So, would you recommend I get the CYA down to around 50 with a partial drain and refill first then SLAM? Should I be worried about TA at that level right now?

Thanks
Cory

Hello again Cory! Glad to see you have a good kit now. If you're preparing to SLAM, and it sounds like you are, reducing your CYA would save you on some bleach and SLAMming at a lower FC level. So if you get down to about 50, that's great. After that partial drain, assuming your FC might drop some as well, get your PH to about 7.2, then hit that SLAM! Keep the FC at SLAM level for your new CYA, and you should see results soon. Don't worry about any other numbers right now until after you've done these things and your water is clear. Let us know if you have any more questions. Good luck!

cory, to do the slam at your CYA level would require you to be at fc of 28.. it could be done but it would require lots of bleach... a partial drain would probably be better...

you are correct on the PH, test it when you back below fc 10

your TA could be a little high, was your PH raising before you started your slam? if so you can lower it till your ph stops drifting up..

hope this helps, ask as many questions as you want :)

What would be the quickest way to drain? I've got two hoses in it now just siphoning via gravity down the hill, but that could take a while to drain out 1/3 of the pool. I only have a skimmer, but could I hook the vacuum (which I have never used) up to the skimmer drain (making sure the vacuum hose is primed with water as best I can) and then put the hose in the deep end and run the pump to waste? Or should I just wait in out on the hoses siphoning?

Thanks
Cory

The garden hoses are safe for sure. Some people might try their vacuum hose since it's a little larger in diameter. But unless you have a sump pump or something, I think you just have to hang in there an be patient. Spend your free time shopping for regular bleach! :)

Drained between 1/4 and 1/3 of the pool then filled it up and sadly watched it turn green during the process. Latest test (immediately after the fill):
FC = 7
CC = 0
PH = 7.2
TA = 110
CYA = 55

I just dumped 4 gallons of 8.25 bleach in at lunch and will test again when I get home. ;)

Cory

I'm seeing mixed reviews on that question. Some say double-check the owners manual for specific chlorine levels, others say it's not an issue since we manage FC and CYA together (safely). Some it depends upon the amount of debris in the pool. I'm afraid I don't have personal experience on that one Cory. Maybe someone else will have input.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a difference a day makes - here is yesterday:
20150724_Stairs.jpg

20150724_Pool.jpg

20150724_Deep.jpg

And today:

20150725_Stairs.jpg

20150725_Pool.jpg

20150725_Deep1.jpg

20150725_Deep2.jpg

Cory

I tested last night at 9:30 and got FC=25, this morning it was 26. I think the lesson to be learned is not to test in the dark by the outdoor spotlight ;). I went ahead and put a gallon in this morning to get FC above 24 as the sun started to hit it. FC was at 20-21 an hour ago so I added another gallon. I'm getting a 0 CC every time I test. I don't think it will be much longer before the SLAM is done, but until all three tests pass, I'll keep brushing and testing and chlorinating. I've got like 20 gallons of bleach thinking it would take a little longer than this.

That's great. Yeah, when it comes to the OCLT, be VERY consistent in everything you do so that both tests can be judged equally. Things like: tube filled exactly to the 10ml line each time, R-0871 dropper vertical, steady drops, etc. You'll do fine. I expect you will have this SLAM behind you very soon.

OK, I seemed to have passed the OCLT last night. 25 FC at 8:30ish PM and 25 at 7:00 AM with 0 CC. I want to pass two nights in a row so I added a jug of 8.25 before heading to work - should have put me around 29 FC. I just got home and tested and FC was at 17 (still 0 CC). I know sun will eat some chlorine, but that was a bit more than I expected. Is that normal? I added 2 jugs and just tested (it's been about 30 minutes) and the FC is at 25.5. The only difference between previous tests and this evening is I got my speedstir in (YEA!!). Would it account for that much of a difference?

Thanks
Cory

Cory, there are basically two reasons to lose FC: organic material or the sun. You passed the OCLT last night and plan on doing it again tonight. If you pass again, you've basically ruled-out algae or anything like that. So that leaves you with CYA adjustment. At the beginning of this thread you showed a CYA of 75. I would suggest testing it again if you pass your OLCT a 2nd time. In our crazy TX heat, if your CYA is lower than you thought, that could explain some FC loss. Ideally we ant to keep our daily FC loss anywhere from 2-3 ppm, maybe 4 under some circumstances. Check back with us in the morning and let us know how your OCLT goes, and if you re-test your CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

Your water looks great by the way. Great job.

Well we dropped 5 FC overnight (went from 23.5 to 18.5) so we have a way to go. Also CC was around the 1 mark this morning. My wife did the pool brushing yesterday - she must have done a better job than me and stirred up some stuff that needed to be killed? We shall continue with the SLAM.

I didn't retest CYA given the FC loss. I did a backwash and cleaned the skimmer sock and let my wife know she did such a good job she should do it again today ;). She keeps saying "but the water looks so good."

Will keep you posted.
Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.