Dropping Chlorine Values

jtburf

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
All,

Ok I run a Liquidator no check valves (raised off the ground) on my AGP, Hayward pump and Sand filter. Water has been crystal clear since day 1, however I am loosing Chlorine in the pool very rapidly.

Here are my numbers from Sunday morning'

FC=0, CC=0, pH 8.4 (I run a spray wand to cool),CYA 80, TA 110.

I added liquid bleach 12.5% to bring my FC up to 6.

Tuesday I checked FC it was 4, I just checked the FC and its 1.

I know the liquidator is working as I see fluid movement, the meter shows the ball between 3 and 4, I have 6-8" yellow coloration in the bottom of the unit.

What am I missing or not understanding?

Pool gets direct sun from 8:30am till 5:30 pm, I run the pump from 8 pm to 8 am.

Thanks,
John

Oops, missed CYA is 80. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Target FC for 80 is 9ppm. That means FC should be at 9 or higher at all times to keep your pool sanitized and algae free. And any time it drops below 6 algae will be growing and the pool will be unsanitary. Especially in hot sunny Houston

Update,

I was starting to wonder if my bleach was still at 12.5%, so after doing a lot of reading and digging I found the test method.

Well what started at 12.5% is now 4%, so where I would add say a 64oz heck I needed to actually add a gallon.

Oh well, what should have been a cost savings by splitting a drum with another member might have actually cost me.

Live and learn, I am going now to buy some fresh bleach now and start monitoring it again.

I do have a question for those who buy in larger quantity, how do you store the bleach and have you had it gass off in less than 2 months!

Thanks,
John

Bleach needs to be stored inside in the A/C out of the sun. Laundry room, pantry, etc.

The smell you were smelling was CC, combined chlorine, that is your chlorine killing algae. For now, that is a good smell!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.