New Pool, Intex Customer Service, Long Post, lol

May 16, 2015
Killeen, Texas
I recently purchased a Pro-Series 20x48 Above Ground Pool. The pool was great right out of the box with my only complaints being the lack of a ground cloth (even though they are usually sub-par anyway), the ladder leaves a lot to be desired even compared the Intex ones that I have had and the skimmer/filter is by no means enough for this size of pool. That being said I decided to upgrade to a larger filter and I purchased a Intex sand filter system. I purchased the 1,200 gph system and after adapting it to fit my pool I was all set up and running or so I thought. At the same time I added an Intex Salt Water Generator model CS8110. This along with the sand filter being on the small end of things left me wanting more flow. My pool quickly began to suffer because of the lack of flow/filtration. I had to choice but to upgrade my filter so I upgraded to the 3,000gph (SF60110) system for only a $50 increase in cost.

The pump came in last week and I had to purchase 100lbs more sand as it holds approx. 120lbs of sand versus the 20 in the old system. I swapped them out and immediately I had a smile on my face. This thing filters some water. My skimmer is like a force of nature sucking every bug and pool toy it can get ahold of off the surface of my pool. I was very happy with the upgrade. I returned my old filter for a full refund too. 

Over the last week I have been trying to get things figured out with chemicals (SLAM, ordering TF-100, Vacuum adapters, etc) and I thought I finally had it figured out. Well the flow had been slowing down so I was like no way this big old filter was dirty already, but let me try to backwash just to see. Well I was wrong. I did a backwash and it was disgusting! Might as well have been flushing a toilet with all of the junk that came out of the filter. Pressure returned to normal. I guess I need to trust my gut and not the filter gauge as it only moved about half a psi at most. So I decided to go back to vacuuming and this time the pressure was ridiculous. It almost caves in my pro-series side wall skimmer (will probably add a dedicated vacuum port later) but it vacuums some serious stuff. With all this being fixed and working correctly I figured I would combat the “algae” I was getting on the bottom of my pool by placing a filter sock on my return to catch the fine algae so it doesn’t lay on the bottom of the pool. Well guess what it wasn’t algae it was sand this whole time.

So I did a little research and digging on this site and I came to the conclusion that I have purchased the correct sand (quickrete sand from HomeDepot) so I must have cracked some “laterals” when I filled my filter even though I followed my instructions completely per their directions. When I was researching others recommend that you fill the filter with water halfway prior to adding sand to cushion the laterals where Intex doesn’t have you add water until you are halfway full of sand already. The next time I will start with the water. Well I wasn’t about to empty my filter just to check so I called Intex. They were great. They said they’re going to send me all 10 laterals and the center tube just in case. They had me upload them my receipt while on the phone and the only bad part is the shipping of 5-7 business days. I will just have to keep my large (7” ) filter socks on there to catch sand for now I guess.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to update and let everyone know my experience and where I we were at on the process. On a good note the water is crystal clear, lol.

Nice to hear Intex customer service took care of you. Just remember .... the pump/filter itself will not keep your water clear. Only your chemistry will do that, and having the TF-100 on its way is the #1 right thing to do. :goodjob:. I hope everything works-out well for you. Stay cool! It's another hot one. :sun:

Nice to hear Intex customer service took care of you. Just remember .... the pump/filter itself will not keep your water clear. Only your chemistry will do that, and having the TF-100 on its way is the #1 right thing to do. :goodjob:. I hope everything works-out well for you. Stay cool! It's another hot one. :sun:

Yeah I know. Sometimes I substitute words but I know without the proper chemistry my water will not be clear. The kit I paid $25 for was junk. I hope the $55 is well spent [emoji12]

Did you get the sand in the "Pool Section" of Home Depot that is in the garden center? I do not recall my sand being the Quickcrete brand. I also filled two Intex filters without putting water in first and the laterals have never given me a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes it was in the outdoor pool section area of Home Depot
2122728eada19395544caf753e11b443.jpg

Ok so here is the update/ conclusion.

Intex warrantied my filter like I expected. They sent me the center pipe with the piece that the laterals screw into and 1 lateral. Yes only 1. Even though it was discussed and promised I would get 10 so that no matter how many were broken I would only have to disassemble everything once. Well that didn't happen. So I continued to run the pump with what I believed to be broken parts for another week while I waited on more laterals to which they expedited shipping but still took 4 days to ship.

I finally got the other 9 laterals from fedex and drained the filter and took out all the sand with the shop vac. I inspected each and every lateral and the center section and not a single defect or crack. Hmmm. Well. That made me decide to do some more internet digging and it led me to the sand. Even though the sand I bought had good reviews and even from Intex owners I suspected it to be the culprit. I decided to drive about a half hour away to the nearest ace hardware that had HTH pool sand and check it out. Wow was I surprised. It is totally different. I mean the sand I had had a few pieces that large but not nearly as many.

I made a separate post http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/103421-My-findings-on-how-not-all-sand-is-created-equal about it but here is a side by side
8c2a6e9e7977d7f270897d4fee784346.jpg
the HTH is the bigger grains.

As I did a little research is seems that Quikrete bags sand regionally and sometimes by state so depending on where you get it can drastically change what you get. I basically get play sand here in central Texas I guess.

Well the filter is back together using the same parts and now I have spare laterals and a center tube.

Hope my experience can help someone else along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm. I have the EXACT SAME problem you have. In my previous homes i didn't buy the quikrete like I have here.... But I don't recall buying any sand with grit like you shown on the left hand side . Glad it worked! Definitely gonna try some different sand in the spring.

fe8584cb36c1cf65fc633cd02f8e3e00.jpg
6e9a4e9d40d014f4cc71eac0f7150d1a.jpg

Closing the pool today and see that there is sand inside my laterals. There's no way to get them inside the lateral without a crack (there isn't), or the sand is so fine is coming through??

No more quikrete- this has been a mess for two years!

The slits on the Intex laterals look a little bit big. If they are too big, then properly graded sand could potentially get through if a significant amount of the sand is near the lower end of the size range. A thorough failure analysis would include a check of the lateral slit size and a sieve analysis of the sand.

For example, if the slits were 0.50mm and the sand was mostly in the 0.45mm range, then a lot of the sand would go through.

Can someone check the Intex lateral slit size?

I measured two different sets of laterals and got about 0.33mm. One set was Hayward and I think that the other was Pentair. A feeler gauge set works well (available from any automotive supply place).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.