Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump run time with 2 speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump run time with 2 speed pump

OK, I don't know anything about "feet of head" or any of that jazz. I have a 2 speed pump and a pool of approx 22,000 gallons. I run my pump 24/7 on low, and on high only when I need to add chemicals, run the Polaris, or want to skim bugs off the top. Hubby wants to put a timer on the pump, because someone told him he didn't need to run the pump 24/7.

Does anyone here use a timer with a 2 speed pump? I'm worried that I won't get enough turnover with the pump off part of the day, and on low for a few hours. I can understand someone with a 1 speed doing this, but does it make sense for me to install a timer?

We don't get alot of trash/leaves in the pool, mostly bugs. I use BBB for the most part (pucks in an in-line chlorinator when out of town).
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 18' x 40' in-ground vinyl pool built in 2006

2. Back To Top    #2
    I run mine on high for an hour then low for 8 then high for another hour. High fills the spillover spa and moves allot of surface junk to the skimmers.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNJ
    I run mine on high for an hour then low for 8 then high for another hour. High fills the spillover spa and moves allot of surface junk to the skimmers.
    Dave, do you turn the pump completely off for the rest of the day?

I just hate the idea of my water just "sitting" there. But maybe that's all in my head?
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 18' x 40' in-ground vinyl pool built in 2006

4. Back To Top    #4
    It runs during the day. Off during the night, thats when I throw the cleaner in a couple of times a week. You want to run it to get a complete turnover of water. There are people here who run 24/7.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/